When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wooden Rims Questions

-
700C tubulars are the same size as 28" single tubes. You do not need to stretch them to fit, they are the same size. The key, in my opinion is to find ones hat look close to the original tires. The Robert Dean tires above do not inflate and are boat anchors. They do look good and if they are for a display bike, you don't need to worry about them going flat. Take a look at the tires that I put on my Rambler.

g&j172-1.jpg

700C tubulars are the same size as 28" single tubes. You do not need to stretch them to fit, they are the same size. The key, in my opinion is to find ones hat look close to the original tires. The Robert Dean tires above do not inflate and are boat anchors. They do look good and if they are for a display bike, you don't need to worry about them going flat. Take a look at the tires that I put on my Rambler.

View attachment 1117287
Yeah, now that looks good there! Those tires have the classic old style appearance, and function. I also like your bike's handlebars! Those are some early ones.

you really need 700/38 to get the same profile as 1.5" wide, the best I have seen is 700/35 modern tubulars I have 34// Zufos on one bike and they are just OK.
That’s only for now. They were low priced and enabled me to finish the project early enough for some spring riding.

I always use glue, a lot of people use tape, maybe if you use tape, you can remove it when you need to adjust your spokes.

I always use glue, a lot of people use tape, maybe if you use tape, you can remove it when you need to adjust your spokes.
I used tape for the first time on this project. With this kind of build I wanted a different approach. Glue is my preference for my other racers. Building a wooden wheelset is vastly different in detail. Thick rims with unforgiving spoke/nipple hole angles etc. Finally ended up truing from topside and being good with it. Being the bike is a ceremonial, parade bike, it’s good for now.

Back