When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s see some late 70’s/early 80’s Cruisers and Spitfires

-
Hello all. I am currently obsessed with the late 70’s and early 80’s single speed coaster brake model Spitfires and Cruisers. I love them totally stock and with some bmx accents. I am looking for inspiration on a current build project. Can you guys that have them post up some pics of your bikes. I really appreciate it. Here are two of mine.

View attachment 747481
View attachment 747482

Hey Danny, I found this in a group on FB

For a while now I have been on the lookout for a girls frame Cruiser to ad to my collection. I have found a few, but they were either not in the condition I wanted, or the seller was unwilling to ship them.

I recently found this 1985 Murray built Cruiser that looks to be in great condition. It is in transit to me as I type this message.

Here are a few pics of the bike:

For a while now I have been on the lookout for a girls frame Cruiser to ad to my collection. I have found a few, but they were either not in the condition I wanted, or the seller was unwilling to ship them.

I recently found this 1985 Murray built Cruiser that looks to be in great condition. It is in transit to me as I type this message.

View attachment 1549081

View attachment 1549082

View attachment 1549083
i like these murray built ones for the rims that are early CMC 26x2.125 stamped the chrome is good but i can’t seem to find them i think they were only on these years

View attachment 1549081

View attachment 1549082

View attachment 1549083
I knew Murray built bikes for Schwinn into 1984, but this is the first I've seen with an '85 badge stamp! And the serial number looks odd, that must have been close to the end.

I knew Murray built bikes for Schwinn into 1984, but this is the first I've seen with an '85 badge stamp! And the serial number looks odd, that must have been close to the end.
Schwinn must have been making them in both TN and Taiwan during the same time period as I have an ‘84 dated head badge on an overseas made Cruiser frame. I believe that mine was marketed/sold in ’86.

Schwinn must have been making them in both TN and Taiwan during the same time period as I have an ‘84 dated head badge on an overseas made Cruiser frame. I believe that mine was marketed/sold in ’86.
There are a few distinct details that tell you where the frames were built. Head badges can be replaced but the serial numbers are permanent, so this is another thing to be aware of. Sounds like your badge was replaced. Schwinn did have the later Cruisers imported from Hungary and Taiwan at the same time, but doubt Murray and Taiwan pieces were produced at the same time. Maybe an overlap from one year to the next, but not at the same time.

Back