eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

Archie Sturmer

I live for the CABE
Jun 13, 2018
Los Angeles, CA, USA
MCI head badge and a 6-H DP Harris New York City Rollfast chain ring; Snyder bought into the Excelsior company in the early 1930’s. If the chain ring has 24 teeth, it may have been swapped for a 26. Rollfast called theirs a “sport motobike”.

Last edited:

Tyberius

Look Ma, No Hands!
Aug 13, 2018
Annapolis MD
“Tanks” for the info everyone. Looks like I have a new set of tires and a couple of missing parts to source. I will post to the wanted page too but if anyone has a set of tanks for this I would be interested.

Reactions: Balloonoob

fordmike65

Riding a '37 Colson Imperial
Mar 4, 2012
East Los
“Tanks” for the info everyone. Looks like I have a new set of tires and a couple of missing parts to source. I will post to the wanted page too but if anyone has a set of tanks for this I would be interested.
I highly doubt this came equipped with a tank since not many of these did. It would be near impossible to find one that matches, so in my opinion it would take away from this wonderful survivor. I don't see any witness marks from tank straps either. After a full service, new tires and a very light cleaning it'll make a great original rider.:cool:

rustjunkie

Staff member
Jul 11, 2012
Monrovia, CA 91016
www.rustjunkies.com
looks 1940 to me:
fenders & braces
wheels appear orig, and hub has 1940s brake arm
saddle design is 1940+, although they were made into the 1950s so could be a replacement.
serial #

Reactions: fordmike65

Tyberius

Look Ma, No Hands!
Aug 13, 2018
Annapolis MD
Copy that. You don’t think I should “restroy” it with a rattle can paint job? :) just kidding.

• Wow
Reactions: fordmike65

Archie Sturmer

I live for the CABE
Jun 13, 2018
Los Angeles, CA, USA
How many head badge holes are there, 4; (might be easier to see on a real computer)? The accent dart paint looks like the more deluxe style, often furnished with "Rollfast" head badges, in the greater "Rollfast" product line by DP Harris. The white behind the head badge makes it look like the Excelsior badge has been there for quite some while. Does the seat mast tube (front) have any additional labelling?

Tyberius

Look Ma, No Hands!
Aug 13, 2018
Annapolis MD
How many head badge holes are there, 4; (might be easier to see on a real computer)? The accent dart paint looks like the more deluxe style, often furnished with "Rollfast" head badges, in the greater "Rollfast" product line by DP Harris. The white behind the head badge makes it look like the Excelsior badge has been there for quite some while. Does the seat mast tube (front) have any additional labelling?
2 holes, no additional markings or numbers on the seat tube.
Sorry for slow reply. 2 hole badge, nothing else on seat tube except part of this decal (see photo).

41592DD0-7170-4230-8B99-E21329407AF9.jpeg

Archie Sturmer

I live for the CABE
Jun 13, 2018
Los Angeles, CA, USA
McClune V74 Sport Motobike.JPG

Looks like the Rollfast Model, and in a darker Burgundy Red color.
http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle194/picture660
Similar to the Deluxe, (less tank).
http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle194
Also, looks like a New York badge was swapped-out for the Indiana (or Indonesian?) head badge.
Headbadge 4-H Rollfast.jpg Excelsior 11.jpg
Is a probably good thing that extra holes were not drilled into the head badge, to try to fit the existing holes in the frame.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

Tyberius

Look Ma, No Hands!
Aug 13, 2018
Annapolis MD
Almost back together...so the 2nd and 3rd pictures convince me that this was not re-badged. I took apart the bottom bracket at it was a real hodge podge of parts. 2 different bearing manufacturers. I'm thinking that the chainring and possibly crank might not be original. If it isn't a Harris bicycle, what kind of chain ring would this have had? I have a period-correct but possibly not model correct lower end in the mail to me but I only want to re-asseble this once.

there was an interesting earlier discussion the history of Excelsior of Michigan City, Indiana below:

Anyway, learned opinions always appreciated...T

IMG_6380.JPG

IMG_6241.JPG

IMG_6240.JPG

John G04

I live for the CABE
Oct 17, 2016
Bethlehem, PA, United States
Almost back together...so the 2nd and 3rd pictures convince me that this was not re-badged. I took apart the bottom bracket at it was a real hodge podge of parts. 2 different bearing manufacturers. I'm thinking that the chainring and possibly crank might not be original. If it isn't a Harris bicycle, what kind of chain ring would this have had? I have a period-correct but possibly not model correct lower end in the mail to me but I only want to re-asseble this once.

there was an interesting earlier discussion the history of Excelsior of Michigan City, Indiana below:

Anyway, learned opinions always appreciated...T

IMG_6380.JPG

IMG_6241.JPG

IMG_6240.JPG
Looks great!

Tyberius

Look Ma, No Hands!
Aug 13, 2018
Annapolis MD
Finally back together. Went for the shakeout cruise this afternoon- there was some technical difficulties on the ride back where the rear hub innards tried to unscrew themselves but I will sort that out. Anyway, will be on the lookout for a few more period accessories and a drop stand for less than a Ben Franklin but overall pretty happy with it and it didn’t fall into the water so...win.

E4564C2D-FC5A-47F0-BBBD-9FCC69CDFC09.jpeg

02FC98D7-5029-4392-BFE5-414EA468F47B.jpeg

Tyberius

Look Ma, No Hands!
Aug 13, 2018
Annapolis MD
Finally back together. Went for the shakeout cruise this afternoon- there was some technical difficulties on the ride back where the rear hub innards tried to unscrew themselves but I will sort that out. Anyway, will be on the lookout for a few more period accessories and a drop stand for less than a Ben Franklin but overall pretty happy with it and it didn’t fall into the water so...win.

View attachment 1107019

View attachment 1107020

fordmike65

Riding a '37 Colson Imperial
Mar 4, 2012
East Los
Oh yeah....she's looking smooth as butta. Love that Excelsior badge:cool:

This ad goes away when you register for an account!