When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barn Find Batavus Flying Dutchman

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Opafiets says hello!

Holy cow, Fritz! That's a beautiful steed! Wow, I'd love to take that one for a spin. Outstanding.
Don’t be fooled by the rod operated drum brakes, its not some restored museum queen. They still make them that way, I bought this big lump (50+ pounds) just last December.

seems some of the Dutch still value a well built “tool” bike.

the rest drive equally well made e-bikes, also made in Holland.

The rod-operated drum brakes are an interesting set up that we don't see much in the US. They do appear with some frequency in the Danish and Dutch markets though. But the rod/drum set ups are popular in some European countries and certainly add variety if you collect commuter type bikes. I owned a Raleigh Dawn Tourist at one time that had rod/drum brakes and was a Danish market bike brought back here to the US. I recall a particularly foolish member of another bike-related forum who insisted I had created the rod/drum set up and it was not stock. After I showed him that in parts of Europe, yes this is stock and people seem to like the set up, rather than admitting he learned something, he actually went back and altered his part of the conversation to make it seem like he had never said what he said. Live and learn, I guess. The Danish market Raleigh I had also came with an extra long stem and a long seat post.

IMG_2951.jpg

Wow. I have never seen rod operated brakes in person. I am looking forward to having the chance. I now see that the rear is rod operated, too! Makes me think about airplane controls. Your bike is stunning. Curious: How is the bottom bracket threaded?

If you're asking about the Raleigh - it's a standard Raleigh/TI bottom bracket that's threaded to take the drive/fixed cup and the non-drive/adjustable cup with cottered cranks. The frame dimensions and threadings are the same as a Raleigh Sports 3 speed.

That Raleigh is a really beautiful bike.

the rod operated drums on my Gazelle are also linked, so the brake levers are just one long piece and hauling on either end gets you all the drums have to offer... which isn’t much.

they were poorly balanced when I got the bike, I suspect the dealer wasn’t sure how to set them up as the linked brakes are rare even among Gazelles. Anyway, once I figured them out and got them balanced they were better, but still not great.

I think the advantage of the drums is they they are dead reliable, last forever on little maintenance and are pretty much weather proof.

I had to have them because they are so damn cool! I just love all those shiny little rods and bellcranks!

Rod and drum is a tough layout to find in a US market bike. If you can get someone to ship for a reasonable price, the Netherlands and Denmark are where I'd look first for one. I bought mine in pieces as a project from a seller in NY. Lots of work later, and I had the green bike shown above. Superbe Green is the color - really nice one. I eventually sold it in an auction where it fetched... $125. Needless to say, I thought it would be worth more than that! But it works out that way sometimes. These kinds of bikes generate some interest, but you don't get the feeding frenzy you get when big ticket balloon tire bikes come up, or boutique road bikes (or BMX or younameit).

Back