When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Enamel or Powder Coat?

-

AS-1

I live for the CABE
I'd like to build a 1952 Schwinn Standard Autocycle for my own personal use. I will use parts from other bikes but I will do what I can to make the bike like the one in the catalog. Should I use powder coat or baked on enamel? Why?

Thank you very much!

Kit

If you are going to use a secondary color for trim or detail and pinstripes, then you are better off using paint versus powder.

True automotive grade enamel is getting harder to find but is probably closest to what was used originally on most single stage painted bikes. It is very slow drying, thus the reason some bake it to speed up the process, but not necessary if you are patient. Rattle can enamel is junk. I usually use an epoxy hardened automotive single stage Urethane. Much harder and more durable that enamel and hardens/dries faster, but can give an over restored look, (ie. to shiny). I have also had real good luck using a flat or simi gloss, and then hand rubbing it with various polishing compounds to get a more authentic hand rubbed enamel look.

Hand rubbed simi gloss examples.

20210414_191003.jpg

DSC00571.JPG

On the other hand... Powder Coating is usually cheaper and less work for you. But as stated before it is harder to second stage color or add decals.
However, a really good powder coater can two and even 3 stage powder and decals. But, most industrial powder coaters don't want to mess with it. These were both done about 6-7 years ago as an experiment and holding up great.
However I prefer paint.
2 stage powder, then decals applied, and clear over.

DSC03950.JPG

DSC03953.JPG

10550977_10152623021524919_5745250581140139495_n.jpg

10472698_10152623020879919_3288334760326189857_n.jpg

You can paint a different color on powder coating.. but you can put a second powder color on top of the first.. I powder coated my rims silver and painted the grey.. its durable and permanent... Just a time consuming job..the paint must have a agent mix to adhere to the powder coating..

IMG_2871.jpg

Back