When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hendee Mfg Co. / Indian Motocycle Co. Bicycles Information Thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I’ve spent the past year combing through multiple newspaper articles searching for evidence and I've found much on George M. Hendee that has never been shared; did you know Hendee patented one of the first springer front ends for the bicycle? After officially announcing he had retired from racing in 1887, reluctantly giving it up. Yet he continued to race even after losing his svelte youthful physique. He was banned as an amateur for product endorsements and monetary prizes, but in time reinstated. He later became the President of the organization that banned him. As a young man he learned his craft as a retailer in New York City, representing the King Scorcher and the Queen Scorcher, both made in England. These bikes were later the templates of Hendee's Silver King and Silver Queen safeties. Before he launched his first company, he was offered the position as the President of a well-known bicycle manufacturer. He was the President of an insurance company. And before he started his motorcycle venture, he was a part owner of the Springfield Coliseum, a race-track velodrome. He was certainly a force to be reckoned with…an amazing man with an unbridled vision.

Below is an accurate account of George Mallory Hendee's companies after his racing career.

Geo. M. Hendee

March 10, 1893 – George M. Hendee goes into business for himself and establishes an emporium on Main Street in Springfield Massachusetts, selling the Rudge, Overlands and the Waverly safety bicycles and assorted bicycle sundries.
April 3, 1894 – Hendee begins building safety bicycles under the names of Silver King and Silver Queen on Main Street in Springfield Massachusetts.

Hendee & Nelson Manufacturing Company

Nov 23, 1895 –Hendee sells half of his company to Edward A. Nelson (another bicycle racer) to form the Hendee & Nelson Manufacturing Company, continuing to build the Silver King and Silver Queen. The factory was located at 41-43 Taylor Street. The office at 478 Main Street in Springfield Mass.
Feb 25, 1897 – Hendee & Nelson Mfg. Co., the office at 478 Main St. Springfield, Mass., is hereafter known as E.A. Nelson & Co. Hendee devotes time to Taylor Street factory.
Sept 30. 1897– Hendee & Nelson Mfg. Co., files for bankruptcy.

Hendee Manufacturing Company

Jan 20, 1898 – Hendee purchases the entire inventory at auction, continuing to build the Silver King and Silver Queen.
Jan 21,1898 - Hendee renames the company Hendee Mfg. Co., and manufacturers the Silver King, Silver Queen and American Indian.
April 1, 1898 – Hendee files to trade mark the word “Silver King”.
April 25, 1898 – Hendee & Nelson Manufacturing Company is finally dissolved, both men are discharged as insolvent debtors.
March 16, 1899- Hendee Mfg., Co., manufacturers the American Indian bicycle, colors; Black, Maroon and Green. Later the word American was dropped.
March 8, 1900 – Hendee Mfg., Co., manufacturers the Indian and Red Indian bicycles.

July 17, 1902 – The word “Indian,”is filed for trade mark, first recorded and used Jan. 1, 1898.

Last edited:
CORRECT: In 1896, Hendee & Nelson Manufacturing Company at 478 Main Street in Springfield Massachusetts were building safety bicycles under the names of Silver King for men and Silver Queen for women. In 1898, Hendee & Nelson Manufacturing Company went bankrupt and Hendee purchased the entire inventory at auction and set up shop on Worthington Street in Springfield Massachusetts. Somewhere between 1898 & 1901 Hendee began using the Indian name.

Gary there are a few things that should be noted with your statement above:
• Hendee & Nelson Manufacturing Company did not build bikes at 478 Main Street, that was their office. The factory was on Taylor St.
• Hendee & Nelson Co., was dissolved April 1898, but a petition for bankruptcy was filed Aug. 1897.
• Jan 1,1898 the name "American Indian" was first used under the Hendee Mfg., Co. The word "American" was dropped in 1899.

Last edited:
Indian

indian repair shop pic.jpg

Cool picture

Great as usual

I have seen the headlight listed as BLACK finish for 18 and 19 now...

Last edited:
Indian Help

Starting to dig into the history of George M. Hendee starting with Hendee & Nelson Mfg. Co. and moving through to Hendee Mfg. Co. and the Indian Motocycle Co. This thread will run with data from the 1890's through the 1950's but as most of the research will be pre-1933, I felt it best to post it here. I will also add "Notes & Reference" placeholders in separate posts up front for each era. Obviously with bicycles & motorcycles were so closely linked in the early 1900's, there will also be references to their very early motorcycles I find that may be appropriate here as well.

I encourage anyone with additional information on these great bicycles to post it here as well. There is a lot of mystery & intrigue to this company and always the questions of who actually manufactured Indian motobikes. Post your bikes, ads, catalogs, articles whatever you feel appropriate here to the subject matter at hand and maybe in the end we'll all have the answers we seek on these great marques of bicycling history.

NOTE: This will be a long term project for me so I'll post what I can when I can get to it. Work & Family Life crazy right now but plan to work on this little project as time allows.

IMG_2369_zps19eb0bd6-1.jpg

George M. Hendee (1866 – 1943)
  • Photos: 1883, Post 52; Posts 15, 53
  • Articles:Posts 13, 15, 55

Oscar Hedstrom (1871-1960)
  • Photos: Posts 15, 59
  • Articles: Posts 15, 28, 55

Hi Gary, I'm hoping you can help me, I'm looking for info / pictures of an early Indian track bike. I've been offered one . The one I've been offered has been repainted and has a lot of mis matched parts. I need to see what an original frame looked like. If you can help. I'd appreciate it. Chuck

Does anyone have a pic of the optional ($1) rear luggage carrier mentioned in the catalog?

Don't we all wish we had seen it first...my mouth dropped when I saw it… it’s fantastic!

I'm speculating it’s a one-of-kind, a one-off prototype from a badge manufacturer trying to win the business to make the Indian badges when the Hendee & Nelson Mfg.Co., partnership went defunct?

We all know ornate filigree head badges were prevalent and popular in the late 1800’s. It's possible, to produce something so beautiful would have been an expensive proposition for a start up company? The evidence of the early Indian cut-out badge aligns more with a start up company. It’s crude, and primitive; but ideal for in-house manufacturing (stamping).

If this beautiful badge was produced, the only logical time to pursue and solicit vendors to indulge Hendee with an Indian icon would have been after the cut-out badge?

The Indian on this beautiful badge is very similar to the Indian head pennies made between 1859 and 1909. It’s a caricature...not a real depiction! It mimics the wooden cigar Indian statues that stood stiff outside many of the tobacco or drug stores around this time period? Beautifully rendered and gentle in their stature.

It’s hard to imagine Hendee would’ve opted for an oversimplification portrait of an Indian when he was so enamored with the free spirit of the real Native Americans?
I read somewhere that Frank Rinehart images inspired the Hendee Indian head motif? James Fraser's Indian head nickel was first produced in 1913 (four years before Hendee’s badge, and there are very strong similarities between the two portraits).

Lastly, the Indian chief contradicts Hendee's persona? Yes, Hendee exuded leadership and confidence, but more significant, he exuded raw strength and competitiveness; the very essence that embodied the young Indian braves –Hendee wanted a tribe of fighting warriors, not a band of passive Chiefs.

As I mentioned earlier, I believe this badge was produced as a vendor's example badge…I doubt it was ever mass-produced and it may be the only one in existence? But who knows...stranger things have popped up?

There 2 of these badges in existence that have been found. Would love to see if it ever was actually on a bike!

Back