When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hendee Mfg Co. / Indian Motocycle Co. Bicycles Information Thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Don't we all wish we had seen it first...my mouth dropped when I saw it… it’s fantastic!

I'm speculating it’s a one-of-kind, a one-off prototype from a badge manufacturer trying to win the business to make the Indian badges when the Hendee & Nelson Mfg.Co., partnership went defunct?

We all know ornate filigree head badges were prevalent and popular in the late 1800’s. It's possible, to produce something so beautiful would have been an expensive proposition for a start up company? The evidence of the early Indian cut-out badge aligns more with a start up company. It’s crude, and primitive; but ideal for in-house manufacturing (stamping).

If this beautiful badge was produced, the only logical time to pursue and solicit vendors to indulge Hendee with an Indian icon would have been after the cut-out badge?

The Indian on this beautiful badge is very similar to the Indian head pennies made between 1859 and 1909. It’s a caricature...not a real depiction! It mimics the wooden cigar Indian statues that stood stiff outside many of the tobacco or drug stores around this time period? Beautifully rendered and gentle in their stature.

It’s hard to imagine Hendee would’ve opted for an oversimplification portrait of an Indian when he was so enamored with the free spirit of the real Native Americans?
I read somewhere that Frank Rinehart images inspired the Hendee Indian head motif? James Fraser's Indian head nickel was first produced in 1913 (four years before Hendee’s badge, and there are very strong similarities between the two portraits).

Lastly, the Indian chief contradicts Hendee's persona? Yes, Hendee exuded leadership and confidence, but more significant, he exuded raw strength and competitiveness; the very essence that embodied the young Indian braves –Hendee wanted a tribe of fighting warriors, not a band of passive Chiefs.

As I mentioned earlier, I believe this badge was produced as a vendor's example badge…I doubt it was ever mass-produced and it may be the only one in existence? But who knows...stranger things have popped up?

There are 2 of these badges in existence that have been found. Would love to see one on a bike!

wow,just reread some of this stuff.......so i have an 08 racer and its the only mag bike i am aware of in existence this early.....the real big center gear is obviously different

ok so my motor is also bigger than my 09 in both cylinder,head and case width......and it has a dual lobe cam which is not seen on any other 08 or diamond frame bike.....this is not a hack job but either a prototype or a special racer

this picture of fred huyck? with an 08 racer.........with a mag!.......this could actually be my bike

if you research this pre 10 era you will see almost nothing but battery ignition racers,this pic is the only one i have seen this early depicting a racer with a mag......not only that but what looks like an oversized cylinder,head and case.......

IMG_2159.jpg
IMG_2162.jpg
IMG_2163.jpg
IMG_2164.jpg

1908 indian racer mag.jpg

IMG_2159.jpg

IMG_2162.jpg

IMG_2163.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

1908 indian racer mag.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, they used the rigid forks on most racers this early and I just got a rigid fork,I plan on using the springer fork on my 09 project

This bike recently listed on Ebay has generated some interest and questions so maybe it is time to revisit this thread and see if we can fill in some holes. The bike has the later flared front fender but the Hendee badge so the bike is likely 20-24? The company changed its name from Hendee to Indian 23 Oct, 1923. As discussed earlier in this thread there is the possibility that there was a lag in the '23-4 model year in getting the badge re-tooled and changed. The first letter of the serial is indistinct but is possible a weakly stamped "B" which would line up with the Westfield serial chart for 1924. Anyone having any of the early 20's catalogs that can definitively nail down when the fender changed would be greatly appreciated. V/r Shawn

Indian1.jpg
serial number mine.jpg

This bike recently listed on Ebay has generated some interest and questions so maybe it is time to revisit this thread and see if we can fill in some holes. The bike has the later flared front fender but the Hendee badge so the bike is likely 20-24? The company changed its name from Hendee to Indian 23 Oct, 1923. As discussed earlier in this thread there is the possibility that there was a lag in the '23-4 model year in getting the badge re-tooled and changed. The first letter of the serial is indistinct but is possible a weakly stamped "B" which would line up with the Westfield serial chart for 1924. Anyone having any of the early 20's catalogs that can definitively nail down when the fender changed would be greatly appreciated. V/r Shawn

View attachment 343313 View attachment 343314
Interesting question........glad to see this thread being used again.
It would be interesting to see the fender above, next to a fender with integrated mud guard........is it the same? In order save a $$$, as most companies did, could Indian simply transition from the earlier fender w/guard to one above ? And then again, transitioned to a fender with no guard and no flare?

Todd

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Without comparing them together I can't say for sure but judging from the pics of each I would say no. It appears to me the later fender is more rounded (when viewed from the rear) than the skirted fender. V/r Shawn

Back