When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hendee Mfg Co. / Indian Motocycle Co. Bicycles Information Thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Here is Lot 60 from the 2014 Copake auction. The default year for Indians at Copake seems to be 1915--ironic since they didn't even sell a bike in '15. At any rate this one has the duck tail fender and the Indian Motocycle badge. Personally I don't believe this tank originated on this bike but it was sold as original for $7020 (fees included). Has the filigree decals but is solid red vice a white head tube so year??? V/r Shawn

copake-14-1.jpg
copake-14-11.jpg
copake-14-14.jpg

Here is lot 173 from Part I of the 2012 Copake Pedaling History Auction. Described as a ca. 1915 restored bike. I'm thinking '23-4. Has the Hendee badge and straight fender. Sold for $3565 fees inclusive. Looks like a really old restoration and that would be a smok'n deal in today's market in my opinion. V/r Shawn

12-P1-1.jpg
12-P1-2.jpg
12-P1-3.jpg

I agree. Very nice machine. I love the small frame Indians. 3.5 headtube. 18 inch (I think)That's why I liked that ebay indian even though it was a little later.....

I believe the Ebay bike and the one from Copake in post #131 are the same year. I also believe the year to be 1924 even though the lit posted for '24 shows the straight fender. A possible explanation is that the illustrations were simply carried over from the previous model year. One thing I don't see in this thread is a definitive date for the last year Westfield produced the Indian--1928? V/r Shawn

This should help...the years correspond to corporate changing their name. Hendee started the Hendee Mfg. Co. late in 1898, tooling had to begin in 1899? He retired from the company in 1916 before leaving he stewarded the relationship with Westfield in 1915 to make the Indian (the 1916 model was the end of the cutout script) The board of directors struggled with the company and renamed the company in late Oct 1923...again retooling would have taken some time for introduction. I have no idea when the Indian badge was last used?
IndianBadges1png-1.jpg

I'm thinking the badge listed as 1917-23 actually went into 1924 sometime and was probably changed during the model year. I would still like to know what the last date for the third badge shown is. dfa242 says Westfield was making Indians into '37 (post #138) but I don't believe I've seen any lit past about 1928 for the Indians. V/r Shawn

Back