When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s see some late 70’s/early 80’s Cruisers and Spitfires

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I posted this 1979 spitfire in this thread about a month ago when I got it. The rear wheel had locked up, because the grease had petrified. I’m pretty sure I’m the first person to ever regrease any part on this bike. I got both hubs, headset, and bottom bracket all working as they should. I also replaced the foam grips with some black schwinn ones. At some point someone had installed solid tubes. Once I got them cut off I threw on a pair of felt quick brick tires. Still needs a good wash, wax, and polish, but it’s a rider. I have a 20t cog on the way to replace the 18t. Probably one of the best riding bikes that I own. I had originally bought this bike to flip, but I think it’s staying with me for a while. I like that it’s only a few months older than me. View attachment 1625647

View attachment 1625648

View attachment 1625649

View attachment 1625653

View attachment 1625646

Very nice! And the 20 tooth rear sprocket does make a big difference for cruising.

Tracking shows I should have my Spitfire delivered today. I just need to find some handlebars for it.

What style are you in need of? I have a set off an '80 cruiser that I'm running on another bike I would part with. Are you looking for mint?

Thanks, but the bars used on the Cruisers are a different style than what was used on the earlier Spitfires. Plus I would really like to get some that are date stamped for 1977 to keep it a numbers matching bike.

Back in the day while working at the Schwinn dealer the Spitfires & Cruisers were one of our top sellers. I built, customized, and sold lots of them during that era. One of my favorite bikes was a black Spitfire. I owned a couple back in the day, and eventually sold them to my friends when I started building custom MTB's. I have been casually looking for another black Spitfire in good condition, and finally got one the other day.

It is in great condition, but does not have the correct handlebars on it. I will need to find a handlebar for it, preferably with a 77 date code to keep it a numbers matching bike.

And an FYI for everyone, the cost of shipping has gone up considerably. With this purchase, Bikeflights was the only available shipper since Shipbikes is still offline restructuring for the use of UPS as their shipping agent.

Here are a couple pics of the bike, 1977 Spitfire

View attachment 1621161

View attachment 1621162

View attachment 1621164

View attachment 1621165

I received the bike the other day, and put it together this morning.

Back