When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First BIANCHI...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-----

Lugset Agrati "CORSA" pattern.

Shell Agrati.

Non-resident saddle pillar marked G.S.

Saddle pillar size 27.2.

Non-resident saddle black plastic shell "MADE IN ITALY" covered with synthetic unpadded suede. Hot stamped "BIANCHI" in silver.

980 model name comes from cycle's 980 model rear mech. Model not illustrated in catalogues of 1981, 1983, 1984, 1985. Rear mech launch was 1980. Cycle likely from that year. No on-line catalogues available for that year.

Original wheels OFMEGA small flange 36 hole with NISI tubular rims or with MAVIC MA2 wired-ons.

California license suggests it may have been imported by Bianchi USA, then situated in Brisbane, California.

-----

-----

Lugset Agrati "CORSA" pattern.

Shell Agrati.

Non-resident saddle pillar marked G.S.

Saddle pillar size 27.2.

Non-resident saddle black plastic shell "MADE IN ITALY" covered with synthetic unpadded suede. Hot stamped "BIANCHI" in silver.

980 model name comes from cycle's 980 model rear mech. Model not illustrated in catalogues of 1981, 1983, 1984, 1985. Rear mech launch was 1980. Cycle likely from that year. No on-line catalogues available for that year.

Original wheels OFMEGA small flange 36 hole with NISI tubular rims or with MAVIC MA2 wired-ons.

California license suggests it may have been imported by Bianchi USA, then situated in Brisbane, California.

-----

Many thanks for all the info!

Full frame shots from when I got it home. Hopefully somewhere down the line I can turn this into a nice looking/functioning Bianchi. Thanks for all the help so far!!!;)

IMG_3091.JPG
IMG_3114.JPG

oops, have to agree now with @bikewhorder - the front end of that bike has been wrecked and repaired - the head angle looks steeper than stock.
If it helps, the parts are worth more than you paid.
double oops - this may be incorrect - see below

Last edited:
-----

Ex-works spacing - 100mm front, 126mm rear.

OEM gears - Regina 6V.

Dating - cycle's four Weinmann 605 caliper arms have a clock face type date marking on their backsides. In the centre is a two digit number indicating the year. In this case likely 82. Numbers on the four arms may vary by one year.

980 model Bianchi seems to have enjoyed but a brief production life.

IMG_1403.jpg

[click on image to enlarge]

WRT how bike sits/alignment -

wheels are a mismatch both in hubs and in rims. possible that rear is a 700 while front a 27". note that front brake pads are not centred on rim. they may exhibit the original adjustment from the 700 wheel which came with the cycle. also, is front axle all the way in to the top of the axle slots in fork ends?

-----

Last edited:
-----

Ex-works spacing - 100mm front, 126mm rear.

OEM gears - Regina 6V.

Dating - cycle's four Weinmann 605 caliper arms have a clock face type date marking on their backsides. In the centre is a two digit number indicating the year. In this case likely 82. Numbers on the four arms may vary by one year.

980 model Bianchi seems to have enjoyed but a brief production life.

View attachment 811780

[click on image to enlarge]

WRT how bike sits/alignment -

wheels are a mismatch both in hubs and in rims. possible that rear is a 700 while front a 27". note that front brake pads are not centred on rim. they may exhibit the original adjustment from the 700 wheel which came with the cycle. also, is front axle all the way in to the top of the axle slots in fork ends?

-----

Once again, thank you for the wealth of info. As far as the front wheel, I had removed it when putting it in the SUV and loosely placed it on for some quick photos.

If it's still safe to be ridden, I'll continue working on it. If not, then as bulldog stated, I'll have my $69 back in parts for another build. Annoying, but I'll deal with it.o_O

Once again, thank you for the wealth of info. As far as the front wheel, I had removed it when putting it in the SUV and loosely placed it on for some quick photos.

If it's still safe to be ridden, I'll continue working on it. If not, then as bulldog stated, I'll have my $69 back in parts for another build. Annoying, but I'll deal with it.o_O

Better news - found another bike on ebay, and that apparently is stock head angle on that tall frame size
And apparently it should have a smaller front rim so the top tube is sloping downward to front, as @juvela noted
The model 980 is Sprint. The high-trail front end geometry will make the bike want to go in a very straight line. The steering will be fast, and may feel twitchy if you lean heavily on the bars (which you're not supposed to do - should support your weight with core muscles)
Whoever swapped the wheel may have done it to give the bike less trail and make it easier to ride.
so I edited my post above
and you probably have something here that is worth a lot more than you have in it, especially if you search out the correct front wheel

Last edited:
I wouldn't ride that bike. Not because it will self destruct, but because it could potentially handle like crap, especially at speed. Trail is also a very import and often over looked factor in bicycle geometry. Imagine riding a bike with a chopper fork and a road race bike. One wheel flops, the other is crisp. This bike is most likely beyond "crisp". Front wheel replacement also indicates a substantial impact.

Parts bike in my opinion. Bikes like these are not all that hard to find so I'd say move on form it.

Trail80rake.jpg

Back