When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OK, who collects early racing bikes?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Here's one of my favorite early racers, I've had it for quite a few years. A guy came up to one of the barn sales I was having at that time and it was in the back of his pick-up truck. I made him "an offer he couldn't refuse" and it was mine! :)
A dark green 1890's with an "Eagle & flag" decal on the headtube. It also says "Epluribus Unum". MAKER????
Both the chainring (10-1/2 inches diameter) and direct drive rear cog are quite large compared to most from that era.
This bicycle also sports "30 inch" wood rims instead of the usual 28 inch that gives the bike an interesting appearance.
The bars are marked "Schinneer, pat., Nov. 9, '97"
original gallery pictures 3511.JPG

THOMAS 1899 FACTORY RACER :

After almost 40 yrs of collecting track racers only, I have finally found a TOC Thomas Factory racer.

Some of you may remember this Thomas that showed up on eBay several months ago. It looked in
pretty bad shape but it was a Thomas. I scratched my chin and wondered if it was a real racer.

I noticed that the chain ring was drilled out and I can only only go off of early pics from the past that
it was the racers that did this to lighten up their machines. So, I decided to take a chance and was
told the bike was a model #29 ( whatever that was! )

Trying to find information for Thomas bikes is pretty scarce today and to find a catalogue has been impossible.

I took a chance and got the bike because racer or not, it is a Thomas and I always wanted one.

Here's the pic from the eBay listing >
s-l1600 2.jpg

The only information I was ever able to find was an ad that Filmonger posted of a Model #22 Racer. So I didn't really know
if a Model #29 was a racer of not. I took a chance either way and here is the Model #22 ad for 1898 >

BookReaderImages.php 2.jpeg

I got the bike here and decided to put wheels on it and see what it looks like.

Here's a couple pics of the bike what it will look like set up - sort of >>

IMG_2711.JPG

IMG_2720.JPG

IMG_2708.jpg

Then I was able to find an ORIGINAL ad from 1899 that showed what the Model #29 actually is.

Here is that ad >> ( turns out that it's a Factory Racer!!!! )

BookReaderImages.php.jpg

And here is a photo of an actual Thomas Model #29 Factory racer >>

Check out the chain ring >>

s-l1600.jpg

The Thomas Cycle MFG Co. stopped building bicycles in 1899 and sold the company for 1900. For 1900 they started producing motorcycles.

This means that the Model #29 is the last of the line for Thomas Factory Racers.

Hope you enjoy and soon I'll have it in color and get started on the restoration.

Corbettclassics ....

Regarding the Thomas ... Springfield, Ohio is twelve
minutes NE of my city - Fairborn.

In spite of my near - regular attendance at the monthly,
giant, Springfield Fairgrounds Flea Market ... have seen
only ONE Thomas bicycle. It was a 20-inch wheel, boy's
juvi. Neil Bailey owns it.

Your Model 29 Racer is wondrous to behold. The manner
of piece-construction -- a monument to frame-engineering.

Thank you for posting !

....... patric

Back