When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OK, who collects early racing bikes?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Mark,

I hope you reconsider. There is still much unknown of these early bikes. Piecing together history with knowledge of physical construction techniques and posting examples is the only way the full story of these bikes may finally be unveiled. The fact that so many companies absorbed others and used shared construction techniques makes IDing a bike an art form in itself.

Your collection as many others of those who post here are rare glimpses into the past.

I think when Miami bought out Hudson Mfg they also bought the equipment including old stock, jigs and thus use similar construction techniques and share features. I don't claim to know this as fact, just trying help give a proper ID in a public forum where others who might know more can post their ideas or thoughts. It is after all the Classic and Antique Bicycle EXCHANGE.

Chris

Mark,

I'm not sure how this went awry? But you shouldn't be offended that we wanted to offer you as much documented historical background as possible?

I have to concur with Chitown...so little is known about the TOC bikes. The only way we gain knowledge is sharing documented evidence, thus contradicting the personal conjectures and suppositions about the early bicycle manufacturing and the kingpins who dominated its industry.

Your bike is a mysterious puzzle piece that deserves more research in understanding its DNA origins...I hope you reconsider and continue participating?

Carlton

Chris (chitown) ... i am in complete agreement with you -- and Carlton (fordsnake).

If any information is ever going to come to light ... it is because those that have the kool, century-old rides will continue
to display them for the benefit of everyone ... not only for this moment .. but for future collectors as well.

Mark (redline1968) ... i just completed about two-hours of research ... hoping to find some glint of info on the Michigan HUDSON ...
nothing ..... then a foto of a 1910 Miami-Built Hudson single-cylinder motorcycle appears on my screen ... i'm starin'
at this Miami-Cycle Hudson badge .. and i'm puttin' two and two together .. WHAMMO !! .. i do believe this badge
is near-identical to your Michigan HUDSON badge ... and if i recall correctly .. the Michigan HUDSON sports fender bridges just like ..
just like .. just like WHAT ??

So, i goes back to this thread for a little peep and a re-peep or three ... the fotos of the Michigan Hudson are GONE ...
they may as well be onboard that Lost Malaysian Passenger Plane .. Flight 370 .......

Anyway .. here is the prize i found ... on that 1910 motorcycle ...

....... patric

==================================================================================
==================================================================================

236A_2-Hudson-Single.jpg

236A_2-Hudson-Single.jpg

Last edited:
So ....Here we go again... Miami or not? It Seems the date question brought back another question. Miami or not...So you be the judge. here are a few pics of the Hudson and the racycle. Forks and bridges of each. If Miami did not build it.. It's a good copy of construction.

Which brings me to this question ... if the Michigan HUDSON badge influenced the badge design of the Miami HUDSON ...
is it also possible the stout fender bridge(s) on the Michigan HUDSON influenced the fender bridge thickness for subsequent
bicycles produced shortly after Miami-Cycle purchased the Michigan HUDSON Company ??

................. patric

====================================================================================
====================================================================================

Has anyone come up with any ideas about who made this bike?

Chris ... you may want to contact Richard Peglow .. Historian for the Indiana Bicycle Club.

He seems to have a lotta knowledge on those bicycles factory-equipped with Fauber crank components.

I do not have any contact information.

........... patric

In visual comparison .. it appears the Miami HUDSON badge is a dead-ringer for the Michigan HUDSON ...
with exception to company names and places of origin. This writer does not know when Miami Cycle acquired
the Hudson Co. from Michigan. If there is anyone out there who does .. please share your documented info with
us on this thread.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. My main quest regarding the line of Miami bicycles is to find out
If All Miami-Builts Had Stout Fender Bridges AFTER the Acquisition Of the Michigan HUDSON Company ...
if this IS the case .. it could be argued that Miami-built bicycle frames were influenced by the Michigan HUDSON Co.

This will enable us to know more about the DNA of both companies. Maybe we will find evidence of other DNA stored
in that Michigan HUDSON that could also have been influential

Butt Hoo Nose !!!

............ patric

===============================================================================
===============================================================================

Does anyone have or know anything about Pye tires? In Six Days of Madness, Ted Harper wrote "The unique process of producing racing tires was invented by "Papa" Ernie Pye, who came to America in 1906 as a bike racer. When he died, the business passed to his daughter, who with her husband produced and sold more than 4,000 tires a year, shipping them to points all over the world. Th tires sold for around $7.00 a pair. Pye tires were the fastest and best track tires during the writer's time of racing, and I have yet to see a track tire that could compare with it in modern times."

I found this ad for sale on Ebay for Pye-Musselman Cord Tyres, The Indiana Rubber Company.

eBay item number:

Accoring to Harper, Pye tires were made in New Jersey. Were they later acquired by Indiana? What is the relation to Musselman?

Back