When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OK, who collects early racing bikes?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Unless your cranks say Hudson Mfg. In that case your bike would date between 1904-09. I've seen patent dates on D&J hangers of 1898 but they are stamped Hudson Mfg. These are post 1904. The early ones say Park City Mfg.

Thanks I looked at the hangar it Hudson mfg. so then 04 to 09 is better approx on the date. No answer on the mfg of the bike..it reeks of Miami but hey what do I know. Also the upper and lower bridge are thick like the Miami design frames. could it be the transitional year where they were using up the badges. Sorry I do love the bike... :)

Last edited:
I'm sorry to say, your bike has no relationship to the Miami Cycle Co.! In 1904, D&J sold their company to Hudson Mfg Co.
What makes Miami bikes so righteous and better than...that you are "sorry...!" that the Hudson is not Miami built? Do you have a secret stock of Miami bikes that you plan on selling some day? What does Miami reek of any way? ¿Frijoles negros? And why did they name the company Miami, when they were not even in Florida?

... why did they name the company Miami, when they were not even in Florida?

Miami Cycle & Manufacturing Co. was located adjacent to the Great Miami River, in Middletown, Ohio. Up-river is the City of Dayton, Ohio.

Both of these cities were devasted by the Great Flood of 1913 (the Great Miami River) .. altho' not quite as large as the one Noah floated on ...
this flood was massive.

But .. that 1913 flood is not important in giving the Miami Cycle & Manufacturing Co. it's name or notoriety. The name, MIAMI is a reference to
the Miami Tribe .. an Algonquian-speaking Native American People .. the Great Miami River and Miami River Valley were named for these Native Americans.

The notoriety of the Miami Cycle & Manufacturing Co. is a reflection of the high standards of manufacture that was (is) evident in their product line.

......... patric

Miami_Valley-map-1919.jpg

==================================================================================================
==================================================================================================

Miami_Valley-map-1919.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! (Notice the proper use of an exclamation point...) That's pretty cool. Thanks Patric! I learned something today. So now I know the reason that the company is called Miami. We have a company here in Marin County called Marin Bikes, most of their bikes are made in Taiwan, I don't think they ever had bikes made in Marin, but some of the bikes which were made in the US are pretty nice. Our local tribe is called Miwok and there was a Chief named Chief Marin.

Now back to Miami, aside from the Racycle crank, I don't see anything that leads me to believe that they are better made than most of their competitors.

Best Built Bikes

Everyone please step back, relax, and take a deep breath………………….we all know that the best built bikes out there were the Iver Johnson’s!! Pete in Fitchburg

Now back to Miami, aside from the Racycle crank, I don't see anything that leads me to believe that they are better made than most of their competitors.

Chris ... my last posting indicated an opinion - that the Miami Cycle & Manufacturing Co. has high standards of manufacture - not that
they are necessarily better made than most of their competitors. There are THREE items of concern (opinion) that have me scratchin'
my noggin about the Davis Manufacturing Co. (Miami's closest-geographical competitor) ....

1. The Davis, fork, adjustment-cone / dustcover is often found to have it's bearing-surface galled. Is this the result of a wrong-choice
of steel .. poor heat-treating application .. thinly-applied case hardening .. some other cause .. or a combination of some or all ??

2. The Davis crank-arm is often found to be bent .. in a manner that IF A PERSON WERE TO HOLD THE UNIT ... with one end pointed
toward the holder (let's call this position 6 o'clock) .. with the central-axis in a vertical position .. and the opposing end is pointing away
from the holder
... this opposing end would be in the 1 o'clock position. Is this 'bending' the result of a wrong choice of steel .. poor
heat-treatment application .. or a combination of both ??

3. (My third concern is highly-opinionated.) The Davis frame-design department rarely strays from the 'norm' of the period ..
most-notably in the motorbike arena. The Davis motorbike-frame of 1920 and later, appears awkward to some viewers.

Does this mean that Miami should be heralded as the 'best' manufacturer of the era ?? Hardly.

Our perception of the initiation and development of function and form continues to this day -- to be judged thru the eye of the beholder ...
resulting in a very-subjective point of view.

DAVIS 1920-22 Frame  (Final Design).jpg

================================================================================================
================================================================================================

DAVIS 1920-22 Frame  (Final Design).jpg

Last edited:
So ....Here we go again... Miami or not? It Seems the date question brought back another question. Miami or not...So you be the judge. here are a few pics of the Hudson and the racycle. Forks and bridges of each. If Miami did not build it.. It's a good copy of construction.

The front is but the back is reinforced with a slight arch. Construction is the same in finish. You know... I just decided that I just don't care anymore. It is what it is. I Hate to do it but i can't enjoy these bikes here and share them with those like me. although my knowledge is not strong on history but in mechanical and design. I noticed that those who think they know more don't post their bikes here...why?...So I therefore decided to terminate my participation and will delete pics. I'm sure there are many bikes to cover this site postings but not mine. Thanks Mark.

Back