When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Riding Tips For Classic Antique Bicycles

-
Common sense would dictate that when riding, keep your hands, legs and feet to yourself. Obviously, CS isn't always common. Based upon a few "unfortunate accidents" I have seen, I think it would be a good tip not to ride stoned, nor try to steal a bike when stoned. I need to find that video. One last tip, it is usually a good idea to keep your feet on the pedals. Having seen a few people miss the pedals and get their foot caught in a moving bike or unmoving pavement--- Well, lets just say, I love the sound of an ankle snapping in the morning, so long as it isn't mine.

Cheer, Steve
Steve, you used to ride with us.
Why would you post here?
Calling a 420 ride on April 20th Friday at my pad. 8:20 ride at 9
Bring a bike that rides best with feet on the bars and hands in the air.
I wear a helmet but not required.
California is a great place to live!
321DDA57-8705-4C64-B6F0-D7DA01EC7E98.jpeg

I ride distance - frequently 35 mi without getting off the bike (that's 2500 calories for those who are counting),. I shoot for 100 mi/wk, don't always make it, sometimes that work thing takes over, but a few weeks every year manage to push that up to 150. I also live in hills, and my 24-mi neighborhood loop has 1200' elevation change, finishing with a 400' climb to get home (the grade to get home hits 14%).

Our Sunday morning downtown sprint group gets many triathletes in training, most who have their running and swimming skills, and are there to bone up their cycling performance.
Two common complaints from these folks - sore neck and shoulders, and numb wrists and hands. They result from the same thing - leaning on and supporting their upper body weight on the handlebars.
Ri8RZ.png

Don't lean on the bars (except of course when you're braking). Support yourself with core muscles, ride from your core muscles.
Always keep your wrists straight, always keep your elbows bent, always keep your neck and shoulders relaxed.
When you need more strength, lean into your core muscles, and you'll find a burst of spin energy you didn't know you had.
All the triathletes who listened to this moved way up in the pack, especially climbing the 2-mile hill at the end.

If you do it the wrong way, you may get a cervical spine damage syndrome named after you, like this dummy.
https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2017/08/10/creepiest-cycling-condition-shermers-neck/
I can't look at these photos - hurts my neck just to look at them.
YJobz.jpg

When my buddy Lou @LouB began taking his wife's yoga classes, he moved way up in the pack - all about core muscles.
(classic bike content - Lou's holy grail Charrel randonneur)
a2xWVuN.jpg

Also if you push it, electrolytes in your water. With your legs working hard on a bike, your brain is the last place that gets oxygen, and the first thing that goes is your judgment.
Learned from my daughter the athlete, nationally rated HS wrestler (summa cum laude rock star and my hero), my water bottles carry Smart Water - it really makes a difference.

OIDI1kS.jpg

If you ride greenways or anywhere around pedestrians, you need a bell so they know you're coming up behind them.
Anywhere you ride, you need lighting.
Solid light for pedestrians, blinking light for traffic. With blinkies, automobile drivers recognize you at 5-times greater distance, giving them time to make smart decisions instead of stupid reactions.
I have a helmet lamp also, and turn it on when I approach a questionable intersection.
Looking at the driver, I know what they're going to do by their reaction to my helmet lamp.
(classic bike content - '57 Raleigh Lenton GP)
ey35lKg.jpg

Bikes for grownups should be comfortable, reliable, and practical.
('74 Raleigh International)
2M0EDXO.jpg

Last edited:
I ride distance - frequently 35 mi without getting off the bike (that's 2500 calories for those who are counting),. I shoot for 100 mi/wk, don't always make it, sometimes that work thing takes over, but a few weeks every year manage to push that up to 150. I also live in hills, and my 24-mi neighborhood loop has 1200' elevation change, finishing with a 400' climb to get home (the grade to get home hits 14%).

Our Sunday morning downtown sprint group gets many triathletes in training, most who have their running and swimming skills, and are there to bone up their cycling performance.
Two common complaints from these folks - sore neck and shoulders, and numb wrists and hands. They result from the same thing - leaning on and supporting their upper body weight on the handlebars.
View attachment 786869
Don't lean on the bars (except of course when you're braking). Support yourself with core muscles, ride from your core muscles.
Always keep your wrists straight, always keep your elbows bent, always keep your neck and shoulders relaxed.
When you need more strength, lean into your core muscles, and you'll find a burst of spin energy you didn't know you had.
All the triathletes who listened to this moved way up in the pack, especially climbing the 2-mile hill at the end.

If you do it the wrong way, you may get a cervical spine damage syndrome named after you, like this dummy.
https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2017/08/10/creepiest-cycling-condition-shermers-neck/
I can't look at these photos - hurts my neck just to look at them.
View attachment 786870

When my buddy Lou began taking his wife's yoga classes, he moved way up in the pack - all about core muscles.
(classic bike content - Lou's holy grail Charrel randonneur)
View attachment 786878

Also if you push it, electrolytes in your water. With your legs working hard on a bike, your brain is the last place that gets oxygen, and the first thing that goes is your judgment.
Learned from my daughter the athlete, nationally rated HS wrestler, my water bottles carry Smart Water - it really makes a difference.

View attachment 786871

If you ride greenways or anywhere around pedestrians, you need a bell so they know you're coming up behind them.
Anywhere you ride, you need lighting.
Solid light for pedestrians, blinking light for traffic. With blinkies, automobile drivers recognize you at 5-times greater distance, giving them time to make smart decisions instead of stupid reactions.
I have a helmet lamp also, and turn it on when I approach a questionable intersection.
Looking at the driver, I know what they're going to do by their reaction to my helmet lamp.
(classic bike content - '57 Raleigh Lenton GP)
View attachment 786874

Bikes for grownups should be comfortable, reliable, and practical.
View attachment 786890
Thank you for this. @bulldog1935
Riding Tips.
Enjoy the Ride
IMG_5246.jpg

Back