When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn tabbed washer?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
My experience is they usually are found on early and mid 1960s era bikes. The purpose is to prevent the drive side front hub cone from tightening itself as the wheel turns forward. Earlier Schwinn hubs often have a thin lock nut that holds the drive side front cone in tension so that it does not turn with the wheel. The British method of solving the problem was to machine a ridge into the axle so that the drive side front cone could not turn any further once bottomed out on the axle ridge. All three are meant to prevent that cone from self-tightening with the forward turning wheel, and thus self-destructing the hub.

My experience is they usually are found on early and mid 1960s era bikes. The purpose is to prevent the drive side front hub cone from tightening itself as the wheel turns forward. Earlier Schwinn hubs often have a thin lock nut that holds the drive side front cone in tension so that it does not turn with the wheel. The British method of solving the problem was to machine a ridge into the axle so that the drive side front cone could not turn any further once bottomed out on the axle ridge. All three are meant to prevent that cone from self-tightening with the forward turning wheel, and thus self-destructing the hub.

I don't necessarily remember it destroying the hub, although it is likely. A bigger more immediate problem is that it suddenly breaks the front axle at both ends and the front wheel comes off the bike. The forks stop the bike pretty quickly when they dig into the asphalt. The rider takes quite a bit more distance to stop.

This only happens when you have a locknut on the right side.

These guys are what you're looking for correct? Will have them at some point this month...

Yes, those!

Last edited:
This three prong “cone lock washer” came on all my (63-66) Stingrays.
Here is a couple of photos showing it on my Aug. 63 Stingray.

9E320E7B-454A-4DA1-A529-4794C7092BAF.jpeg

CC59510E-6116-4998-A6D3-832B7A5CA177.jpeg

E49B9D7F-CBD0-4F5C-A45B-71DC5566F583.jpeg

Interesting.
I have a 64 KS and there is no lock nut/jam nut on the cones. Was going to post if this was common as I have never seen that. I'm wondering if it should have these?

Back