When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your NON-BICYCLE bicycle parts.

-
The perfect rat tail light
A 1951 Miller High Life steel flat top beer can . (Any steel can will do I just picked this one because the red, black and rust best matched my rat Sonic Flyer .)
20230410_074119.jpg

..., the bottom of a red vitamin bottle
20230410_074201.jpg

...and a cheap flash light
20230410_074124.jpg

Vola

20230410_074112.jpg

View attachment 1819063
The handlebars were stripped of the black paint and sprayed with Triple P. Porkchop's { @Porkchop & Applesauce } Patina Potion.
The crank and front sprocket were treated with spray paint, salt and cinnamon ( modeler's trick for rust)
Nice! Love those middleweight Murrays! Dig the patina/fauxtina on it too! I'll have to try out those techniques some time!

Good morning Sven!
Glad to hear you’re still loven the triple p! I just finished using the triple p on this rack. I took some 36 grit sand paper to it…rode it down the driveway like a wake board….beat it in the gravel next to my driveway….used the torch and browned up the paint….then triple p it for 5 days! Then used a scotch pad and cleaned it up a bit. Then clear coat and bingo….looks legit!

B214DE1F-7A00-408C-925E-75A052FB8E09.png

CD61689B-40AC-4196-BC86-1F0AE5C07CCF.png

Good morning Sven!
Glad to hear you’re still loven the triple p! I just finished using the triple p on this rack. I took some 36 grit sand paper to it…rode it down the driveway like a wake board….beat it in the gravel next to my driveway….used the torch and browned up the paint….then triple p it for 5 days! Then used a scotch pad and cleaned it up a bit. Then clear coat and bingo….looks legit!

View attachment 1819070

View attachment 1819071
Dang, that's an effect! So what is this Patina Potion you use? I might want to try it out on one of my bikes!

Dang, that's an effect! So what is this Patina Potion you use? I might want to try it out on one of my bikes!
It’s 50 percent hydrogen peroxide mixed with 50 percent white vinegar and a teaspoon of salt mixed into a spray bottle. Spray it on bare metal and it’ll rust right before your eyes! If ya hang the part the way it’ll be on the bike the rust will run down and stain the paint as to appear it was on the bike it’s whole life. If you spray it a couple of times a day and allow it to sit for several days the rust will set in solid. The hand held propane torch will dull out brand new paint and make it look old. This takes a bit of practice todo cause there’s a fine line between to much heat and blistering paint. Recommend trying it on something that doesn’t matter first!!

It’s 50 percent hydrogen peroxide mixed with 50 percent white vinegar and a teaspoon of salt mixed into a spray bottle. Spray it on bare metal and it’ll rust right before your eyes! If ya hang the part the way it’ll be on the bike the rust will run down and stain the paint as to appear it was on the bike it’s whole life. If you spray it a couple of times a day and allow it to sit for several days the rust will set in solid. The hand held propane torch will dull out brand new paint and make it look old. This takes a bit of practice todo cause there’s a fine line between to much heat and blistering paint. Recommend trying it on something that doesn’t matter first!!
Awesome, thanks for the tip! I've got plenty of stuff I could test it on, so if I mess up, it won't be a problem. Ever since I built my rat rod 1961 Murray Meteor Flite, Shoestring, I've been itching to play around with patina more, especially with painted bikes and parts like the rack you showed earlier.

Back