When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedwell

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

fshbydesign.com

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Hello, I just picked up this vintage Speedwell bicycle. The badge reads "Emblem manufacturing company, Angola, NY. Serial number 479486. I have attached photos... Any help regarding year and history would be great.
IMG_20190909_130019786_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190909_130049212_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190909_130032146_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190909_130026944_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190909_130355591_HDR.jpg

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/emblem-manufacturing-info.125531/

Emblem bikes that I have seen do have some peculiar parts. The crankset may have oversized threads and cones; the sprocket drive pin may be offset 2 inches.
They are an odd size and challenging to obtain - just something to keep in mind with any disassembly, repairs, refurbishments, or replacements.
The headset also has unique styling, (but I'm not sure if its dimensions are special).

Also, we see 2 master links - something that might be investigated, as to the need, or cause.

Last edited:
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/emblem-manufacturing-info.125531/

Emblem bikes that I have seen do have some peculiar parts. The crankset may have oversized threads and cones; the sprocket drive pin may be offset 2 inches.
They are an odd size and challenging to obtain - just something to keep in mind with any disassembly, repairs, refurbishments, or replacements.
The headset also has unique styling, (but I'm not sure if its dimensions are special).

Also, we see 2 master links - something that might be investigated, as to the need, or cause.
Thanks for the info. There is a post regarding the history of Emblem bicycles and I will see if I can add the link. If you had to guess what would you date this to? Thanks

28"? This bike was made after Pierce was purchased by Emblem and made in Angola after 1918ish. The non-sculpted but pinched/brazed rear fork axle fitments were on Emblems in the early 20's on the simple diamond frames, but the 400000 number puts the bike in the late 20's early 30's? Many of the Pierce Emblems had the Pierce sculpted drops. This bike does not, but means nothing as Emblem may have still been making the Pierce badged frames with both styles after the Pierce purchase. This I do not know. The 479486 number I would estimate to be in the early 30's regardless if the serial numbers now known turn out to be in order.

28"? This bike was made after Pierce was purchased by Emblem in Angola in 1918ish. The non-sculpted but pinched/brazed rear fork axle fitments were on Emblems in the early 20's on the simple diamond frames, but the 400000 number puts the bike in the late 20's early 30's? Many of the Pierce Emblems had the Pierce sculpted drops. This bike does not, but means nothing as Emblem may have been making frames with both styles after the Pierce purchase. The 479486 number I would estimate to be in the early 30's.
Yes, 28". Thanks for the info

Back