When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Sterling - what is it?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

prburns

Look Ma, No Hands!
I recently acquired an old bike. The badge says "The Sterling" and indicates it was manufactured in Westfield, Mass. It also says "Built like a watch". The down tube has the model name "Special" painted on it.

What do I have here? How can I find out the year of manufacture? Are there pictures available so I may see what it is supposed to look like?

The bike is in only fair condition at best. The rims look pretty rusted out. If I wanted to clean this up (not a full restore) what is the best way to deal with the rust?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

1604932590066.png

Picture Credit: Krakatoa

Hi, and Welcome @prburns

We really need at least a picture to do something, and preferably the serial number too.

Above is a Westfield built Sterling from January 1937. Below is a link to another Westfield Sterling from about March 1937. You can see that they are entirely different, though built at the same time.

You will find the serial numbers stamped on the bottom of the frame, underneath where the crank is. There will be two, one long one starting with a letter, then 4, 5 àr 6 numbers (like B123456), and another short one above it, a letter, with one or two numbers (like D12). You can see an example of he long serial number in the post above. Please do not scrape the paint off to find the numbers!

These will date it to the month it was made.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Thanks @prburns

G4 means that the frame was made in April1940. E378848 is too long, so please could you check? I'm guessing it's E37848, which would fit in with other bicycles with G4 date stamps, and would mean it was built up into a bike April-May 1940.

The only other Lady's Sterling I have listed is this one from 1941, which is similar, but has the tank, so was probably a slightly higher specification version.

I hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back