When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinnest tire for Velocity Blunt 35 700c

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Bozman

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I normally run 700cx40 Continental Amsterdams on my 700c rims. I'm restoring a 1925 Columbia Six Day Racer and the tires are too wide for the rear frame. My question is could I run 700c×32 tires or thinner on my Velocity Blunt 35s?

The Blunt 35s have the same matching profile as the metal clad wood rims that where original to the bike.

Thanks in advance

Boz

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Depends on the actual size of the 32s. I'd stay with 700x35 or larger. Maybe a better option would be switching out your Blunt 35s for some Blunt SS or something like that.

True race bikes generally used narrower rims anyway.

Depends on the actual size of the 32s. I'd stay with 700x35 or larger. Maybe a better option would be switching out your Blunt 35s for some Blunt SS or something like that.

True race bikes generally used narrower rims anyway.

I was fearful of that answer. I probably need to go to with the Blunt SS or the Atlas 700.....I just hate to have to delace the rims and buy another set.

I just spent the weekend stripping the black off the Blunt 35s, spoking them and truing the wheels. They look fantastic with polished metal......probably try both a 35 and a 32 to see if they fit.

I do have an original race tire and rims for the bike and they were not that thin. Measured the profile of the original metal-clad wood rims and they are pretty much spot on with the Blunt 35 profile. Hopefully the Blunt SS will work if the 700-35c or 700-32c don't fit.

I do have an original race tire and rims for the bike and they were not that thin. Measured the profile of the original metal-clad wood rims and they are pretty much spot on with the Blunt 35 profile. Hopefully the Blunt SS will work if the 700-35c or 700-32c don't fit.

Two things in your previous comment don't quite add up. I would be very surprised if any true race bike ever used metal-clad rims. Typically the goal of any true race bike is to eliminate as much weight as possible. Metal-clad rims would be heavier than all wood rims.

Two things in your previous comment don't quite add up. I would be very surprised if any true race bike ever used metal-clad rims. Typically the goal of any true race bike is to eliminate as much weight as possible. Metal-clad rims would be heavier than all wood rims.

According to the Columbia 1926 Catalog the "Special Racer" (6 Day Racer) had Metal Clad Wooden Rims. (I will post the catalog page later.........)
The 1925 Catalog called for Wooden race wheels but my 1925 Special Racer came with Metal Clad Wood Rims so I'm going with the bike 25 is a 1925-1926 transition bicycle. Also here are pictures of a Race in Laurel MD in 1925 with bicycles with Metal Rims (assuming Metal Clad Wood Rims)

14014v.jpg

14015v.jpg

14016v.jpg

14017v.jpg

According to the Columbia 1926 Catalog the "Special Racer" (6 Day Racer) had Metal Clad Wooden Rims. (I will post the catalog page later.........)
The 1925 Catalog called for Wooden race wheels but my 1925 Special Racer came with Metal Clad Wood Rims so I'm going with the bike 25 is a 1925-1926 transition bicycle. Also here are pictures of a Race in Laurel MD in 1925 with bicycles with Metal Rims (assuming Metal Clad Wood Rims)

Very interesting, I would never have imagined that racer bikes would have used metal clad wood rims.

Last edited:
Here is the info for the C4 Model Special Racer for 1925 and the general specifications for tires, rims and hubs.

1925 Columbia-11.jpg

1925 Columbia-12.jpg

1925 Columbia-13.jpg

1925 Columbia-14.jpg

Here is the 1926 D4 Model Special Racer info. Thanks to Mr. Columbia for providing me with these amazing resources.

1926 49th Year Columbia-10.jpg

1926 49th Year Columbia-11.jpg

1926 49th Year Columbia-12.jpg

1926 49th Year Columbia-13.jpg

I wrote to Velocity and they said that I could use a 700-35c tire with tubes on the rims. Hopefully they will fit the bike...stay tuned.

Well I just reread the 1926 Catalog.........Seems the Racer Models had Wood Rims and NOT the Metal clad rims. DOOOOH!

Well I'm sticking with the Metal Blunt 35s because My Bike had those rims on them and I have the photographic proof that 1925 race bikes had metal rims.

The 1925 Catalog also says the C4 Special Racer was only issued in black. Mine is in Berkshire Blue. Go figure

Last edited:
Back