When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water bottle mount on an oversized downtube

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I like it. Trouble is I can't seem to find where to buy them, except in Germany, which I suppose is doable, but you would think someone in North America would have them. That is the same brand (Elite) as the ones I posted, just a different model.
Yes, I work in a bike shop where we carry the Elite plastic ones, but had never seen their other fancier ones. They at least will look a little more vintage, I think.

Does anyone know of a source for water bottle cage clamps for a 28.6mm (1 1/4") down tube? I am restoring a Teledyne Titan, and it has no mounting holes, and oversized tubing. I don't really intend to ride this bike a lot, but I want to have a water bottle mount on it. I don't really want to do a handlebar mount. Any leads would be appreciated! TIA
You can drill holes and install female threaded boss pop rivets.

@philthewrench this means something
King Cage.
They have M5 stud + nut for water bottle cages.

AKa6uDi.jpg

Last edited:
You can drill holes and install female threaded boss pop rivets.
Rivnuts look clean, and are my first choice, but you have to be willing to drill holes. They are permenant but if installed correctly, will work forever. No slipping. No unattractive clamps. Factory appearance.

Now you've got me thinking what I need to put on my early post-war tourist when I get it running...
All I could find on eBay at the moment. I like the "lugged" look. I know they make more brands, would be nice to match your group set if they made bolt on parts in the 50s/60s. Thinking I have some at home, but probably not a matched pair. I may Fab a set myself out of stainless, put a M5 rivnut in that instead of drilling in the frame. Would not be too difficult to make.

Get a Hi-e bottle cage ....it would be period correct and will mount very easily
Thanks for that tip. I didn't know Hi-E made bottle cages. I looked, and it seems they made them so they can mount either with standard braze-on fittings, or a single hose clamp through the slot in the middle. These may well have appeared on odd-sized bikes like my Teledyne in the day, but I still can't warm to the hose clamp look, I guess. Just today, my Elite bottle mount adapters arrived from Lithuania(!), so I guess I'll see how they look on there. They are large alloy pieces, and the cage will sit above the tube, so it is an aesthetic experiment!

Back