When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What kind of brakes are these?

-

Oilit

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
So I saw this Monark-built Firestone on FB, my first impression was the Firestone version of a Monark Bearcat. I messaged the seller several times but never got a reply.
The Bearcat was Monark's take on a three-speed with caliper brakes, but looking at these pictures, these brakes look like they mount differently than the Weinmann calipers on other mid-'50's three-speeds. Instead of being mounted on a stud they look like they're clamped around the frame tubes. I asked the seller for some close-ups, but no response to that or anything else. Does anyone know what brakes these are and has anybody got some good close-ups?
I can't tell whether this was a production option or an aftermarket set-up. Maybe Monark decided this was cheaper than modifying the frame?

FSC - 1.jpg

FSC - 2.jpg

FSC - 3.jpg

FSC - 4.jpg

FSC - 5.jpg

1954 Monark Bearcat.jpg

I don't think that front brake is supposed to be there, it's not hooked to anything on the fork, and the clamp on the handlebar is kinda funky. Maybe it's just sitting there for the pics. At a close zoom view they are clamped to the fork, my bad.

I have a 1957 Monark middleweight with a similar front brake setup which is attached to the fork legs. The rear is a Bendix manual 2 speed coaster brake.
Can we get some pictures? I'd like to see exactly how those calipers are mounted, this is a new one to me.

I have seen some similar on eBay once or twice, (kind of higher-priced); thought that they might be useful on a Worksman frame (for the rear caliper brake).
If I recall correctly, one might have been stamped A&S and the other from Canada.

I believe much older are the English “Resilion”(?) brakes, with similar fork mounting, (but with a yoke-type cable).

Perhaps something that just never really caught-on, being safety-related equipment.

Last edited:
I think this is the best view of what's going on. Note the clamps on the fork. It looks like they are similar to the Schwinn add on cantilever brakes.

1634949777196.png

Nice bike! I dig the frame and the fender ornament.

Uncle Gordy, like Oilit says, please post some pictures showing how the brakes are mounted.

They're all very similar to TOC French brakes in design.
The reason this style of attachment disappeared from use is that they are very flexible in operation.
I have a couple of old French made ones on TOC bikes but they aren't that effective!
Interestingly you can still get a couple of modern variations on this theme, aimed at people (myself included) who like to use fixed gear, track racing bicycles on the road when you have undrilled forks and are unable to mount a caliper brake.
Over here in the UK it is illegal to ride a 'fixie' without a front brake!

Back