When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1937 Roadmaster Speed King

-
Based on the combination of the built-in tank horn and the fender having the rubber grommet where the wires come up through for the Silver Ray assembly (instead of the absence of a grommet because the wires travel along the fender underside to the horn light), I'd guess (I'm not 100% on this) that this didn't have a horn light.

Amazing grab, by the way.

Excellent point. I guess my main concern now is whether the fork is correct for this bike. This bike actually belongs to a friend who I am helping liquidate his collection. Thanks, Shawn

Excellent point. I guess my main concern now is whether the fork is correct for this bike. This bike actually belongs to a friend who I am helping liquidate his collection. Thanks, Shawn

This bike very well might have had the horn light. I didn't think the wires running to the truss silver rays ran through the ferrule into the fender and then back up again. I've seen other bent tanks of this vintage with the horn light. I think I have a hardware page showing a bike with the horn light. I'll look later after I get home.

Last edited:
Here are pics from my original, catalog correct 37 Roadmaster badged deluxe model 01826. The wires for the silver rays run through the ferrule from the tank to the fender and then come back up through the fender under the fork.

I don't really understand what the rubber grommet was ever used for.

Last edited:
This bike very well might have had the horn light. I didn't think the wires running to the truss silver rays ran through the ferrule into the fender and then back up again. I've seen other bent tanks of this vintage with the horn light. I think I have a hardware page showing a bike with the horn light. I'll look later after I get home. For now, here is a period picture showing a horn light. The fork appears to be the flying V style.

View attachment 1095384

You’ll notice that the tank in the picture has no gills (traditionally implemented to emit the horn sound from inside the tank) because they’re not necessary with an external horn or horn light. Below is my CWC bent tank for a horn light (again, no gills). The horn tank on the bike in question has both a built-in horn and the associated gills.

DCDEB6DC-21BA-4626-86C8-13DDDD238571.jpeg

Here are pics from my original, catalog correct 37 Roadmaster badged deluxe model 01826. The wires for the silver rays run through the ferrule from the tank to the fender and then come back up through the fender under the fork.

I don't really understand what the rubber grommet was ever used for.
View attachment 1095385

View attachment 1095386

View attachment 1095387

View attachment 1095388

Not to hijack this thread...but I'd love to see a full on shot of this bike. Looks like a beaut!

I'm seeing two options in regards to the fork.

Wrong fork.
View attachment 1095442

Correct fork but missing bracket.
View attachment 1095441

Either way, with what's there, pointing towards missing silver rays.
Chad
Keep in mind the cream bike is Hawthorne. I see a lot of strange CWC/Snyder parts on these Hawthornes. Just a thought. Not sure about the Speed King tho, but that looks like the same fork.

Back