When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Astroflite is done..almost

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Looks Sweet...

I always wanted one like it. I never saw a W/F version but My freind had 2 Spaceliners back in the day.The older one was used as a paper route bike and was rough,His dad bought him a new one but he could ride it only on weekends

Last edited:
W/F...western flyer?

Not sure what W/F is. Western Flyer maybe?
I assumed the mens was a Sears and was told the ladies was a Otasco retailer.

I still havent figured out the way to clarify the retailer store with the serial number stampings.

Adam some how knows though.
Waiting on a post of that breakdown research material on the "catalog challenge" forum from the gurus.

Not sure what W/F is. Western Flyer maybe?
I assumed the mens was a Sears and was told the ladies was a Otasco retailer.

I still havent figured out the way to clarify the retailer store with the serial number stampings.

Adam some how knows though.
Waiting on a post of that breakdown research material on the "catalog challenge" forum from the gurus.

I thought the "Astroflight" was a Western Flyer version of a very similar bike,it could have been another retailer. The Sears version was called a Spaceliner.They were both made by Murray Ohio.There is no way to clarify retailers with serial numbers and every Murray I've had or seen had MO as the prefix to the serial number,I'm assuming MO stands for Murray Ohio. I had an early 50's Murray Made JC Higgins Color Flow and the serial number was useless in determining the year but that bike was exclusive to Sears. Is the word Astroflight on the chainguard?

Last edited:
I thought the "Astroflight" was a Western Flyer version of a very similar bike,it could have been another retailer. The Sears version was called a Spaceliner.They were both made by Murray Ohio.There is no way to clarify retailers with serial numbers and every Murray I've had or seen had MO as the prefix to the serial number,I'm assuming MO stands for Murray Ohio. I had an early 50's Murray Made JC Higgins Color Flow and the serial number was useless in determining the year but that bike was exclusive to Sears. Is the word Astroflight on the chainguard?

These Murrays are spread all over the retailer market back in the late 50's and 60's. I have been doing all my research by the Murray ads http://murrayeliminatormusclebikes.yuku.com/forums/68/Murray-Catalogs-Ads
Rotary, vs
My two mens Astroflites (one has a chainguard with the Astroflite graphics) are MO (Murray Ohio) prefixed stamped serial numbers. It is confusing to me as to how the retailer is determined. With the exception of Sears and Gambles
502 is Sears...which mine are not
WG are Gambles which I had never heard of before.

Then my ladies Astroflite or I thought it was, has no graphics on the chainguard.
Prefix 75 I was told could be Otsaco Hardware.

I was also advised that each retailer "forward thrust" tanklight has specific dash switch styles. Rotary for sears Spaceliners is a for sure giveaway not to mention the sears logo on the tanks. Then there are knobs with tabs and then there are knobs with indentations. then there are different logos on the dashes.

By the way they all have a murray decal on the seat post. No headbadges to help aid in the serach for the correct retalier or brach of Murray.

Did I mention that I'm more confused now than I ever was.:confused:

Great Job!!!

Hey John...Super job, it looks great. As you know, I know from experience how scraping off all of that clear coat can drive you mad.
It got to a point to where it was like punishment, not fun.
Anyway, once again, great job, that one belongs in your living room now!!.....................Wayne

I noticed the red light on the rear rack and wondered what they look like close up. Could you possibly post a pic or two of the light and rack? Thanks.

Hey John...Super job, it looks great. As you know, I know from experience how scraping off all of that clear coat can drive you mad.
It got to a point to where it was like punishment, not fun.
Anyway, once again, great job, that one belongs in your living room now!!.....................Wayne

Thanks, Wayne and yes it was a chore getting all that clear off.
It turned out it was easier to just use the razorblade and leave the torch heat alone. I left the seatpost decal undisturbed so the old foxed clearcoat is still there.
So there is still old clearcoat on the bike. Kinda a before and after presentation.
I'm quite pleased with the result. It looks great next to the ladies Astroflite, which it's clear is in great shape.

Monark52...here is what the rear tailight assembly looks like. Takes 2 AA batteries, screw on dome from the top that secures the battery cup from the bottom.

attachment.php

Astroflite

The bike turn out real nice.It makes you feel good to stand back and take a look and say i did that . kevin

The bike turn out real nice.It makes you feel good to stand back and take a look and say i did that . kevin

Thanks Kevin. It is nice to look at. This being my first teardown on a bike, I was amazed how easy some of it was.
Can't wait to get the wife and I down to the Va. Beach boardwalk struting our shinny rides.

Back