When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Contemplating hauling a load of bikes and parts to California

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

4scuda

Wore out three sets of tires already!
In Memoriam
It seems that I ship all my parts and bikes to California, so I am thinking about hauling a trailer load out. Couple questions come up
1. Where in California?
2. I know it’s optimal to have things sold before I get there but if not what venue is best?
3. I’ll need to sell everything, I know it will all depend on price, but is there an auction or somewhere to leave residual?
I have a variety from toc to balloon very little or no stingray. I haven’t had luck at swap meets in the midwest so I’d rather deliver to someone to sell or do more of a general flea market or swap. Won’t be anything too exotic, several nice iver Johnson and general 50s bikes and parts. I would also be open to partner with someone to do the selling. Not sure of timing yet. Thanks for your advice or opinions.

There's only two California's North and South. I'm sure the central valley California guys will argue that, but they drive to Northern or Southern events already. I think you need a partner that is California based. Having the option to leave and store whatever does not sell would be a huge advantage to having a fire sale and giving everything away at the end of the day. We have some really epic swap meets in California, Turlock in the central valley, The Los Angeles Roadster Show on Father's Day draws car guys from all over the world. Pomona Swap Meet is almost monthly all year long, Long Beach Veterans Stadium has different swap meets (motorcycle, bicycle, hot rod, antique) every weekend, etc. That was a great offer from Higgens. Temecula is located in Southern California "inland empire" area with easy freeway access.

Just keep in mind this is a BIG place. Everything is spread out. I live in Southern California (Orange County) and I attended a Trailer event in Hollister, CA (actually at Casa de Fruita) this weekend and it was a 340 mile tow "one way" from my house. Hollister is not even all the way to the Bay Area.

John

Last edited:
It seems that I ship all my parts and bikes to California, so I am thinking about hauling a trailer load out. Couple questions come up
1. Where in California?
2. I know it’s optimal to have things sold before I get there but if not what venue is best?
3. I’ll need to sell everything, I know it will all depend on price, but is there an auction or somewhere to leave residual?
I have a variety from toc to balloon very little or no stingray. I haven’t had luck at swap meets in the midwest so I’d rather deliver to someone to sell or do more of a general flea market or swap. Won’t be anything too exotic, several nice iver Johnson and general 50s bikes and parts. I would also be open to partner with someone to do the selling. Not sure of timing yet. Thanks for your advice or opinions.
So you drive all the way out there, and you sell 20% of your stuff.....could be a fun trip....if you're selling parts, and 90% goes to Cali.....stick with it.....slow and steady wins the race ... But I certainly understand......if you could make the trip and sell 90% of your stuff it's worthwhile.....

I've sold a bunch of parts here on the Cabe over the last year. started selling on ebay 2 months ago and the bike stuff does quite well there, only problem is the fees and TAXES at the end of the year. you get taxed on MUCH more than what you get for the part minus fees.

I would only be doing this for fun and to clear out inventory. Obviously more dollars I sell the more fun I would have. I am at a point that as long as I cover expenses of the trip and clear out everything I’d be happy. I have bought and sold several collections over the last year and I am even money wise with a lot of inventory left. There would be good money to be made if I continue to sell piece by piece but I have health issues I’ve probably pushed my luck too far already so a nice cross country trip and a blow out sale is probably in order.

Back