When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fix It, Junk It, or Sell It ?

-
I am having "frame problems" with an old Columbia arch frame and need a frame builders insight. The original two piece crank in gone and a modern crank wont fit thru the small crank hanger. I dont want to use a modern 3 piece crank but an considering using a one piece crank if I can get a larger crank hanger brazed in my frame.

Attachments

• Archframe.JPG
    Archframe.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 79
sprocket

My sprocket looks like this:

P1010224-1.jpg

It's a little different from yours.
The bike it came with is a Geneva with 1898 on the badge.
Your handlebars look like from around that time.
Do they have a ring that twists off to adjust them?

I am having "frame problems" with an old Columbia arch frame and need a frame builders insight. The original two piece crank in gone and a modern crank wont fit thru the small crank hanger. I dont want to use a modern 3 piece crank but an considering using a one piece crank if I can get a larger crank hanger brazed in my frame.

Kunzog:

It's possible to remove the old bottom bracket shell (crank hanger) and braze in a new one of larger size. I'd have to machine a new shell to fit a modern one-piece crank and fillet braze it in place. Not easy or cheap, but all doable.
Alex

Kunzog:

It's possible to remove the old bottom bracket shell (crank hanger) and braze in a new one of larger size. I'd have to machine a new shell to fit a modern one-piece crank and fillet braze it in place. Not easy or cheap, but all doable.
Alex

My sprocket looks like this:

P1010224-1.jpg

It's a little different from yours.
The bike it came with is a Geneva with 1898 on the badge.
Your handlebars look like from around that time.
Do they have a ring that twists off to adjust them?

ejlwheels: wow - that's amazingly close. Yours has fewer teeth and the spider arms are more tapered than mine. Yours looks like the "upscale version" of mine. I've attached pics of my chainring, the crankarm and the bottom bracket parts. The BB parts are pretty unusual (at least compared to modern stuff), so I'm hoping one of you experts will say "aha - for sure that's a XYZ bike" or "gotta be from this range of years." Each side has one part threaded one way and another part threaded the other way to lock against. I've also attached a pic of the top of my fork, plus one of the bars and stem and the front brake. Something's not original in this setup, since I can't figure out what the linkage looked like to press down on the brake shaft. There's no hole in the stem.

Finally, on your Geneva, where's the serial number ? Mine is on the BB shell plus also on the right side of the seat tube lug.

Attachments

• Wooden Rim Bike 013.jpg
    Wooden Rim Bike 013.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Wooden Rim Bike 014.jpg
    Wooden Rim Bike 014.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Wooden Rim Bike 017.jpg
    Wooden Rim Bike 017.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Wooden Rim Bike 018.jpg
    Wooden Rim Bike 018.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 71
Pics of fork, bars, stem, brake - again hoping someone can help with:

What is this, when is it from, and how was this brake actuated ?

Attachments

• Wooden Rim Bike 019.jpg
    Wooden Rim Bike 019.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Wooden Rim Bike 020.jpg
    Wooden Rim Bike 020.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 79
Thanks - I did a BIN yesterday from the same person !

Alex

too funny, you do know who sm2501 is don't you? that's Scott McCaskey the owner of the CABE.:D
I guess he didn't see this thread or he could have made you a deal through here!
Scott:cool:

too funny, you do know who sm2501 is don't you? that's Scott McCaskey the owner of the CABE.:D
I guess he didn't see this thread or he could have made you a deal through here!
Scott:cool:

Small world - I was wondering about that when I BIN'd them.

In a bit over 48 hours, I've learned more about this bike that I ever thought I'd be able to glean when I bought it at a junk shop in 1973 ! This forum is an awesome resource.

OK, a few more questions: I think with the help of this forum I've determined that my bike is from around 1900, and it was probably a fixed gear. It's got the wrong rear hub (ND model D) and the front brake is disabled. I'm thinking it's be a pretty easy restoration as-is (coaster brake) but it would be much cooler if I could come up with a period rear hub.

Any idea where I can find a hub ?

Where can I find a picture of how the brake worked ?

And, what about replating. Were these parts nickel or chrome ?

Thanks again to all !

Alex

Back