When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice Early fixie style wooden 28 spoke wheel set information please

-

TOCKubin

Look Ma, No Hands!
I just picked these up from a 3 hour round trip away. They measure 25 inches and are in incredible condition for the age. I am guessing they were restored to some degree a while ago but the spokes are fairly crusty with rust. They are almost perfectly round. I was going to put them on my 1890s National Sewing Machine bike but of course the axle is much more narrow than the original. Can some of you please give me an opinion as to whether I should piece together things to make these work or just keep looking for others for the bike. I think I can fabricate a new axle but am not sure if the threads are one of those non-standard types that will be unfindable - will check at the hardware store tomorrow since I just got them today and store closed. My bike originally had two 32 spoke rims but I am fine with using the 29 spoke if I can make it work. I would rather that than new rims with the original hubs I think but am I crazy? Would 29 spoke look decent or are those only for earlier 1870-80 bikes? The 1/4 inch wide sprocket is what I need so at least that would work.

IMG_5315.JPG

IMG_5314 2.JPG

Last edited:
Nice find! None of those look restored in anyway. They should work on your National as long as the rear hub isn't too wide for your bicycle. They are all from at least the mid 1890's-early 1900's time period; not earlier.

What is wrong with the wheelset on your National? It appears the rear drop outs on that bike may have been filed to accept the wider axle diameter you mention.

IMG_5172.jpg

Last edited:
It certainly is possible that it was filed but the original hubs fit just fine. The wood rims have a fairly bad break around the valve hole. So basically a piece is ready to come off. I know anything can be fixed, but these are a little too far gone. I also don’t wanna spend a bunch of time trying to rebuild the sides of the edges of the rims that are chipped away significantly. The bike was also brush painted a long time ago, along with the rims so it is much easier to just leave the original hubs original wheels and put a substitute set on if I want to ride it at all. I have four wheel sets right now that don’t technically work on either of my two bikes I have LOL. I am looking to see if I can swap axles from the original to the ones I just found. Of course they are different diameters and the next thing I am sure I’ll find out is it has a crazy thread pattern that I cannot replicate with regular stuff.

If you which to ride the bike I would not recommend using any of the old rims. I am sure some others on here have tried and can comment. You may want to consider using the original hubs and getting Stuzman rims if you wish to make the bike a rider. Good luck, it looks like a nice project.

No such thing as a 29 spoke wheel set from what I know. Maybe you mean 28 spoke but the wheels shown look like 36 spokes each
I posted the incorrect photo. I must sound like a moron showing the crusty old black ones saying they look restored. Shouldn't be trying to text on the fly and add photos. As you can see these are one minor coat of shellac away from looking incredible. I must have been high while was counting spokes. There are 28 and some are a little bent but pretty solid wheels.

IMG_5314 2.JPG

I just picked these up from a 3 hour round trip away. They measure 25 inches and are in incredible condition for the age. I am guessing they were restored to some degree a while ago but the spokes are fairly crusty with rust. They are almost perfectly round. I was going to put them on my 1890s National Sewing Machine bike but of course the axle is much more narrow than the original. Can some of you please give me an opinion as to whether I should piece together things to make these work or just keep looking for others for the bike. I think I can fabricate a new axle but am not sure if the threads are one of those non-standard types that will be unfindable - will check at the hardware store tomorrow since I just got them today and store closed. My bike originally had two 32 spoke rims but I am fine with using the 29 spoke if I can make it work. I would rather that than new rims with the original hubs I think but am I crazy? Would 29 spoke look decent or are those only for earlier 1870-80 bikes? The 1/4 inch wide sprocket is what I need so at least that would work.

View attachment 1849608

View attachment 1849609
The top photo of black crusty is incorrect. Correct 28 spoke hole photos below.

Nice find! None of those look restored in anyway. They should work on your National as long as the rear hub isn't too wide for your bicycle. They are all from at least the mid 1890's-early 1900's time period; not earlier.

What is wrong with the wheelset on your National? It appears the rear drop outs on that bike may have been filed to accept the wider axle diameter you mention.

View attachment 1849681
This photo is the hub that came with the bike hanging in the barn. There is a fracture in the rear from hitting something and it is bent into a V. I know it could be fixed but it would take MANY hours. I already straightened a set that was way better than this. The 28 hole hub diameter is about 1/2 inch smaller on the 28 spoke rims due. The axle on the original is smaller and of the type with two different threads. The new rims had shorter axle that was also thicker. Of course confirmed today that I cannot fabricate a bigger axle to use the old nut that holds the bearing. I can use the longer, thinner one on the national but there will be a big gap between the spokes and the frame. I will need to find a way to fill the space if I want it to look better. In the office right now so cannot send pictures of it all. You are right though that it looks like it was filed but at the time i found it the axle was much thinner with no need for filing. Good call from the photo.

Back