When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official G & J Clincher Rims Thread

-
Has anyone here tried the Rubena 28 by 1 1/2 tires on these rims? Or any modern tires? I'd love to see a photo, and a source for them. I can't find them online.

Has anyone here tried the Rubena 28 by 1 1/2 tires on these rims? Or any modern tires? I'd love to see a photo, and a source for them. I can't find them online.
I have Rubenas on several sets of these rims. Most of us (@cyclingday ) have bought them in the past from: https://classic-cycle.com/wheel-and-tire/tires-tubes-parts/beaded-edge-tires/
Marty was the guy that informed us they would work.
They have sold out of the cream color but looks like they just have stocked brown colored (see home page).
@sm2501 was going to look into importing bulk.

Here is my Racycle motobike with the Rubena tires.
93DD3905-AD6B-41C7-AF3A-68E3B8E77001.jpg

Has anyone here tried the Rubena 28 by 1 1/2 tires on these rims? Or any modern tires? I'd love to see a photo, and a source for them.

Here’s an example of the Rubena 28x1-1/2” tire mounted on original G&J equipped 1918 Harley Davidson, Motorcyke.

Here’s a catalog entry that lists this type of rim in aluminum.

Intresting to see US collectors using the Rubenas on their clincher rims.
Over here these Rubena repro-tyres are very popular among bicycle collectors, since almost any bicycle ridden in Germany, Swiss or Austria had beaded rims, until they were ourtlawed by the Nazi Regime in 1938 as part of the "Vier-Jahre-Plan" an effort to boost the German economy and the preparedness to defend.

Clinchers were chosen over beaeded tires, because they were said to take less valuable rubber, which would be needed elsewere (I suppose figther plane tires etc.)

So any bicycle enthusiast here who wants to ride his pre-wars machines will pretty much have Rubenas mounted: they look authentic and provide a perfect ride and are durable.

These tires fit nicely on 28" beaded rims, in 610mm and 625mm diameter - rim width anything around 18 to 30mm. I was told they can even be stretched to go onto early safety bicycles with 30" clinchers rims on the front.

Since the edges of the tires overlap on the rim bed, the valve stem is often sticking out sideways under an unhealthy crooked angle - to avoid this I usually cut out a little opening for the valve before mounting the tires.

They are produced in the Chez Repulbic, formerly company name was "Barum".
Unfortunately since fall last year, the white ones are not made anymore.

Question:
I need some rideable 28"Tube Tires and I believe there is a US-source of Repro-Tires, in white. Can aynbody tell me where to order them ?

Here is an example of Rubena-Tires on my Mars, Nürnberg around 1907.

View attachment 1384573

The first picture is showing the tires brand new.

Below you can see the Rubenas after one year in use, with two ducks carefully scrutinizing my ride ...
View attachment 1384581

The ducks let me pass - they said the tires were ok ;)

Velo-Classic is a good supplier for tires and lots of other old bicycle stuff:

Here is an example of Rubena-Tires on my Mars, Nürnberg around 1907.

View attachment 1384573

The first picture is showing the tires brand new.

Below you can see the Rubenas after one year in use, with two ducks carefully scrutinizing my ride ...
View attachment 1384581

The ducks let me pass - they said the tires were ok ;)

Velo-Classic is a good supplier for tires and lots of other old bicycle stuff:

Can’t open links.
Ditto!

Back