When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre War Lincoln Badged Schwinn info needed.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have it's CLOSE mate....1941, according to crank, Lincoln. Serial number 137.

DSCN2195-001.JPG

DSCN2202-001.JPG

DSCN2210-001.JPG

DSCN2216-001.JPG

DSCN2218-001.JPG

DSCN2585-001.JPG

DSCN2603-001.JPG

I think these are Schwinn lightweights from before 1939. The New Worlds were introduced in 1939 but the seat stays on the New World ran straight up to either side of the seat post, these are more like the pre-war balloon frames. The only lightweight in the 1938 catalog is this "Racer" with 28" tires:

1938 Schwinn Racer.JPG

Last edited:
I agree that it's not a just New World with a Lincoln badge - the frame is too different from the New World Tourist. I hesitate to call them a "lightweight" because the frame might be a diamond, but it's heavily constructed like ballooners or antique type bikes.

They remind me a lot of the kinds of bikes that were made before WWII for Western Union and similar businesses or local government - built like an adult bike with a diamond frame, but heavily constructed similar to an antique period bike or early ballooner. With the weird, low serial numbers, I wonder if these are part of a smaller run of bikes made for a business that used bikes, or some kind of local government/police where a small fleet bikes would be used.

I agree that it's not a just New World with a Lincoln badge - the frame is too different from the New World Tourist. I hesitate to call them a "lightweight" because the frame might be a diamond, but it's heavily constructed like ballooners or antique type bikes.

They remind me a lot of the kinds of bikes that were made before WWII for Western Union and similar businesses or local government - built like an adult bike with a diamond frame, but heavily constructed similar to an antique period bike or early ballooner. With the weird, low serial numbers, I wonder if these are part of a smaller run of bikes made for a business that used bikes, or some kind of local government/police where a small fleet bikes would be used.
That’s exactly what I was thinking. The special batch of frames for a special order of some sort.

I always assumed that these frames were the Racer and predecessor to the "lightweights" that kicked off in the late 30s (Paramount, Superior, New World), as shown in that catalog image above.

I have two of these saved. Obviously the first example has been tinkered with and new decals, and maybe other parts added, but you can see the frame and the crank setup matches the two shown in this thread. The first one is Lincoln badged.

The second one the frame is consistent and more parts aligned to the Racer, but the chain ring potentially swapped. No badge found on this one, but you can see vertical mounting holes (Lincoln?). Does have the Persons saddle, which is what these would have had.

Maybe as they were switching over to tourist setups they had to use some Racer frames to get those efforts going (edit - just realized this could not take place because of the seat post clamp issue stated next). The one thing I don't get is the difference in the seat post clamp setup, so that is something you can't convert over from a Racer...which makes me think the three tourist frames shown are some sort of transitional thing.

273449930_10221719102587913_2141710466034973595_n.jpg

273441499_10221719113348182_4462617573631888668_n.jpg

s-l16001.jpeg

s-l16003.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s exactly what I was thinking. The special batch of frames for a special order of some sort.
You may be right. Leon Dixon said a lot of pre-war bikes were converted to 26 x 1.375 wheels and tires during the war because that was the only size bike tire being made (he calls them "war mongrels"), but that doesn't explain the serial numbers.

Back