When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre War Lincoln Badged Schwinn info needed.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
You may be right. Leon Dixon said a lot of pre-war bikes were converted to 26 x 1.375 wheels and tires during the war because that was the only size bike tire being made (he calls them "war mongrels"), but that doesn't explain the serial numbers.
I don't know if coincidence or not, but all the frames shown with tourist setup are Lincoln badged.

You may be right. Leon Dixon said a lot of pre-war bikes were converted to 26 x 1.375 wheels and tires during the war because that was the only size bike tire being made (he calls them "war mongrels"), but that doesn't explain the serial numbers.
I think something else is going on here. Only thing dating those bikes is a crank with a 41 casting. If these were 1941 models why didn’t they have drop outs instead of the rear fork end? The numbers are also looking like they are machine stamped which is odd. also note the extra welding on the rear fork ends

Last edited:
I do not know the original color of this green bike. I bought it from the original owner. He had it repainted in 1964 at the same shop it was purchased from in 1941, different owner, same shop. He had it painted John Deere green in 64. It is white now since I did not know the original color. In fact I'm selling it this next week. Got a new toy HA I put a different chain ring on, 52 was too hard to pedal for me. And a new handlebar. Also S-6 rims and tires, since the 26 x 1.375 were a little old.

DSCN2585-001.JPG

I do not know the original color of this green bike. I bought it from the original owner. He had it repainted in 1964 at the same shop it was purchased from in 1941, different owner, same shop. He had it painted John Deere green in 64. It is white now since I did not know the original color. In fact I'm selling it this next week. Got a new toy HA I put a different chain ring on, 52 was too hard to pedal for me. And a new handlebar. Also S-6 rims and tires, since the 26 x 1.375 were a little old.

View attachment 1848055
If the front and rear drum brakes were original to the bike, that was an expensive machine when it was new.

I need to go see the original owner and get a copy of the original purchase. His father bought it in 41. And his son, who I bought it from, rode it to school for many years. He is 86 now.
I remember when you first posted that bike here on the Cabe. It’s still a big mystery. If I’m not mistaken, that seat post clamp was a 1941 item. Another oddity is the head badge is riveted on, and that serial number is just crazy. If you do talk to the original owner ask him if the bike was brand new or maybe reconditioned or a bike shop custom build. It’s definitely unlike any other light weights built during that time. Again, those serial numbers are just crazy on both of these examples with both having the same head badge.

The frame is bent up pretty good. I don't see any other serial numbers on the frame. Just curious to see what model it might be and if the crank year matches the frame year. Also any idea whats up with that stem? Added on? To me it looks like cycle truck stem.
It's a Superior stem. It's 12" tall and was an optional Schwinn stem into the mid 1960's. It could be dealer ordered as an optional part on a new bike. Just like many other "optional" parts. Some call it a Cycle Truck stem, because it was the standard part on a Cycle Truck from 1937 to 1967, but it was available on other models as well. It will only fit into bikes with a (thinner) 7/8" diameter steerer tube. It will not fit the newer bikes with a 13/16" inside diameter (thicker) steerer tube. It's a desirable part.

John

The more involved I get in these two examples, the more I'm leaning towards Leon's war mongrels. Chicago Cycle Supply Co. must have had a hand in building these two pieces and probably many more from old stock, factory defects or something of that nature. Beautiful hand stamped serials, Same CCS badge with rivets, 1941 cranks, restamped serial numbers and other clues. The 41 seat post clamp was probably a replacement and the real serial number would tell all.

Kevin Brick's piece. His has a 1937 crank.

5799f8ce-4a77-4918-be28-8270c4a3d9f9-jpeg.jpg

637750e0-176e-4f28-bc25-c8f4c545fcd4-jpeg.jpg

I always assumed that these frames were the Racer and predecessor to the "lightweights" that kicked off in the late 30s (Paramount, Superior, New World), as shown in that catalog image above.

I have two of these saved. Obviously the first example has been tinkered with and new decals, and maybe other parts added, but you can see the frame and the crank setup matches the two shown in this thread. The first one is Lincoln badged.

The second one the frame is consistent and more parts aligned to the Racer, but the chain ring potentially swapped. No badge found on this one, but you can see vertical mounting holes (Lincoln?). Does have the Persons saddle, which is what these would have had.

Maybe as they were switching over to tourist setups they had to use some Racer frames to get those efforts going (edit - just realized this could not take place because of the seat post clamp issue stated next). The one thing I don't get is the difference in the seat post clamp setup, so that is something you can't convert over from a Racer...which makes me think the three tourist frames shown are some sort of transitional thing.

View attachment 1847899

View attachment 1847900

View attachment 1847901

View attachment 1847902
Is the Lincoln head badge on the black tourist installed with rivets? It might be from the same family here.

Back