When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn King Sting and Sidewinder!???

-
It bears some resemblance to the early Jim Blackburn racks. This has to be a rare accessory. Looks great on that Sidewinder! (though it should be attached to the seatstays with collars, not zip ties)
Noooo why would I do that!???? Zip ties are good! 😂😂
Those little arms actually won’t reach the seat post bolt nor would the bolt be even close to going through the holes.. I have an older rack that attaches to the rear triangle top bars (just shy of the seat post) using two individual brackets that look similar to coaster brake arm brackets.

Obviously not the same rack structure but I believe this is somewhat how it was intended to be attached. If you look at the catalog it shows a smaller cross bar bracket spanning between the two attachment arms.. which I don’t have.. so I believe this is how I’m going to attach it for now until maybe more pics surface.
34D128F3-9BDE-4A35-9180-AAEF23625DCB.jpeg

So a while ago I stumbled upon this accessory in the Schwinn catalog. I’ve never seen one anywhere else other than this blurry catalog picture. Well! One random eBay search and boom.. there it is! Does anyone have any pics of anymore? Figured they would be on sidewinders or maybe king stings too. It was advertised as a mountain bike rack and only in blue as far as I can tell. View attachment 1683032View attachment 1683033View attachment 1683034View attachment 1683035View attachment 1683036

If you would have read the text in the catalog, you would have seen they were available in Red and Silver also!

My 82 Sidewinder came with a similar rack made by Jim Blackburn. I would assume these racks were made by him for Schwinn, but I don't have any documentation to confirm that. Schwinn also had a similar F&R rack in their 83 catalog for the touring bikes.

If you would have read the text in the catalog, you would have seen they were available in Red and Silver also!

My 82 Sidewinder came with a similar rack made by Jim Blackburn. I would assume these racks were made by him for Schwinn, but I don't have any documentation to confirm that. Schwinn also had a similar F&R rack in their 83 catalog for the touring bikes.

View attachment 1683074

View attachment 1683075

View attachment 1683076
Based on that picture of your rack, I’d imagine this blue one would’ve used that small bracket I don’t have to attach to the rear brake mount bracket.

Based on that picture of your rack, I’d imagine this blue one would’ve used that small bracket I don’t have to attach to the rear brake mount bracket.
While similar, I think you’re just missing the two little clamps to bolt to the seat stays (the top rear triangle bars, chain stays would be the bottom tow rear triangle bars). As @DrRumack80 pointed out. I think you can make some to work for now while you search swap meets for an original set that’ll work!

That's a great rack! Never saw one before. Get some rubber coated "P" clamps to mount it to the stays. A bike shop might have some. We had racks that came with them back in the 90's but I forget which brand. Hardware and auto parts stores should have something similar too.

Back