When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So who want's faux wood grain 700c clinchers??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I just received a few sets of wood wheels with the aluminum inserts from Noah Stutzman that I will use on my Iver's. They are absolutely stunning and I believe they were just under $125 each. Also, I believe mine are Maple, not Oak although both types of wood may be available. They look so nice I almost hate to use them !! Pete in Fitchburg

I think Stutzman typically uses Hickory for the bicycle wheels. I'll go with him again for any future projects, but I agree, the more options, the better. Every old bike back on the road is a small victory for the hobby.

CABE Consumer Reports :

In the quest for the antique 28" wheel contemporary equivalents, I've been resistant to building up velocities for my oldest bicycles, I've been hunting for originals while looking for the best answers for contemporary counterparts to these originals. I even stumbled into a beautiful set of 28" matched 1890's wood wheels at a recycle center!

Very close to building velocities, but still hunting for wood, I recently discovered Stutzman makes single tube wheels for approx 160$ a pair that will fit 28x1.5" Robert Dean Tires. This is a godsend! Finally an option that allows me to lace in antique hubs into a contemporary counterparts!

I promptly sent my money to Noah Stutzman & Robert Dean, both of whom happily took my money. After thinking about it a while, this is the best 500$ I have spent on a wheel set, ever. Stutzmann will drill his 40hole hoop for me so I can lace in the original 40 & 32hole hubs. This seems to be a great combination for both an original look & FEEL of authentic wood wheels supported by original 1890's hubs.

If I didn't want to use the original hubs I think building up a set of velocities would be cost effective, however modeled after the original geometry, look and feel of 1890's wood wheels.

Last edited:
Has anyone besides fordmike65 gotten a response to their email sent to Velocity? I certainly have not. ANYBODY?

I just received an answer to a recent email I sent to Velocity regarding the wood grained rims:

Thanks for your enquiry. I wish I could get them, I’m still shaking the tree in order to get the guys that own the rights to the process to let us do them again. There are only so many companies that have the rights and equipment to make them and it was a timely process, and costly endeavor I have a contact that has failed to return any of my calls or emails. I will keep trying.

Lux Low is a Big Distributor of Velocity Rims, Wheel Smith Spokes, and Schwalbe 28" Tires and Full Built Lux Low Wheel Sets. We are working on Wood Grain Wheels but the costs are High and some of the processes still need some fine tuning, When Done they will Be advertised and Sold. Check This Thread http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showth...nt-Wheels-New-Road-Worthy-Wheels-amp-Rims-etc
wh28promorear3astll.jpg

wh28vespredrc2llpro.jpg

I just tried to sell a set a couple of weeks ago, but nobody wanted them, so I used them myself. They look great with a set of Specialized Fatboy 700x45 tires.

Attachments

• P1070374.jpg
    P1070374.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 202
  • P1070375.jpg
    P1070375.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Back