When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why so many December ‘80 frames?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Non union workers can NOT go on strike! They would have had to join the union first, then the "UNION" can call a strike on their behalf if the negotiations fail.

They sure can. Better read up on the subject.

So does anyone else have any theories, and/or speculations on why there seems to be so many of these MR serial numbers out there?
If I had to guess, Eddy Schwinn had already decided to close Chicago down and was building up stocks of parts. But that's the trouble, unless more information comes to light, all we can do is speculate.
After reading your last post about the Rights of Nonunion Employees, I'm wondering if "concerted action" is lawyer-speak for a non-union strike. I never worked in a union, so this is out of my field. I read somewhere that Schwinn employees had some kind of in-house union for years, but that the trouble really started in the late '70's. I wonder if Ed Schwinn's management style contributed to the problems, but Schwinn had been coasting for years, so it was more probably the effects of self-satisfied complacency and neglect finally catching up with them. Of course, hindsight is 20/20.

If I had to guess, Eddy Schwinn had already decided to close Chicago down and was building up stocks of parts. But that's the trouble, unless more information comes to light, all we can do is speculate.
After reading your last post about the Rights of Nonunion Employees, I'm wondering if "concerted action" is lawyer-speak for a non-union strike. I never worked in a union, so this is out of my field. I read somewhere that Schwinn employees had some kind of in-house union for years, but that the trouble really started in the late '70's. I wonder if Ed Schwinn's management style contributed to the problems, but Schwinn had been coasting for years, so it was more probably the effects of self-satisfied complacency and neglect finally catching up with them. Of course, hindsight is 20/20.

I read about the in house union also and the workers were after a pension and seems that wages were not an issue, at least that's what was said. At first they got nowhere bargaining with Schwinn and the new management (Ed) on their own so they went to the UAW for representation for more clout. The Unions have been established many years prior to all this and from all the history I read I get the feeling the workers didn't want or need to be Union prior to this event but they were forced to after being blown off by Schwinn's current management. It's obvious some were still working during the strike and so far I haven't come across any indication there was a picket line. This strike must have been pretty tame compared to what Murray went thru years earlier. ;)

Murray History

Like its competitor, American Machine and Foundry (AMF), Murray left Cleveland in the 1950s and moved its factory and assembly plant to the American South, choosing a factory site in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee, with corporate headquarters located in Brentwood, Tennessee.[4] Originally a non-union plant, the Lawrenceburg facility began operations in 1956, and over the next few decades, the complex grew to become one of the largest facilities of its type in the United States: 42.7 acres (173,000 m2) under roof. There was a failed effort by the Teamsters to win a NLRB election in March of 1965. The Teamsters charged unfair labor practices and proceeded to lead a 46-day strike that halted production. On April 12th 50 workers were arrested as the company resumed production. Police locked arms as they protected 1350 workers who drove into the facility. Two picketers were hospitalized, one struck by the car of a non-union worker, one injured by the police.[5] A court declared their pickets illegal, and Tennessee state troopers were brought to the factory to stop picketing by striking workers on April 19th. The company was unable to resume production that day because an electrical transformer was sabotaged by a sniper. The next day the state troopers were initially rebuffed by striking workers, before moving against them again and then clearing a path for the replacement workers. Nine picketers were arrested and charged with disorderly conduct. Two hundred marched from the factory to the jail singing "we shall not be moved" after the arrests.[6] The next day approximately 60 workers were arrested by state troopers.[7] There were still scores of state troopers guarding the facility on May 12th when two explosions went off near the facility that reporters linked to the conflict.[8] Some of those arrested were transported to jail in a state highway department dump truck. It later became a UAW plant (1991), and produced both bicycles and lawn and garden equipment. One of its more famous former employees is former Senator Fred D. Thompson.

Youth bicycle production received a boost with the 1965 introduction of Murray's version of the small-tired, banana-seat, wheelie bike pioneered by Schwinn, the Murray Wildcat. The Wildcat was also styled by Schreckengost, who gave it his own interpretation of a chopper motorcycle, with high-rise handlebars, a tall sissy bar, and a flared rear fender. A series of models followed, including the Eliminator, Firecat and Hotshot. In 1977, again following a youth trend, Murray introduced its BMX model.

I didn't bump this thread up to hash out the union issue, but I guess it is still of interest to some? And possibly somehow related to the topic?

Once again, non union employees can not go on strike! ONLY unionized employees can strike when the union calls for them to strike!

If you read the link I posted, non union employees can organize and use "concerted action" to try to make reasonable demands to the employer as long as they benefit ALL EMPLOYEES. The workers tried that and failed. That act is NOT a non union strike! So they joined the union, then the UNION CALLED A STRIKE when the union negotiators negotiations failed.

After my years at the bike shop, I worked in the retail grocery industry, I was a union member in the UFCW for almost 20 years, and experienced a couple of labor strikes called by our union representatives. It was not a fun situation for any of us, and I have mixed feelings on whether unions are beneficial for the collective good when a strike is called?

I didn't bump this thread up to hash out the union issue, but I guess it is still of interest to some? And possibly somehow related to the topic?

Once again, non union employees can not go on strike! ONLY unionized employees can strike when the union calls for them to strike!

If you read the link I posted, non union employees can organize and use "concerted action" to try to make reasonable demands to the employer as long as they benefit ALL EMPLOYEES. The workers tried that and failed. That act is NOT a non union strike! So they joined the union, then the UNION CALLED A STRIKE when the union negotiators negotiations failed.

After my years at the bike shop, I worked in the retail grocery industry, I was a union member in the UFCW for almost 20 years, and experienced a couple of labor strikes called by our union representatives. It was not a fun situation for any of us, and I have mixed feelings on whether unions are beneficial for the collective good when a strike is called?

View attachment 1260675
It was an interesting post and I appreciate you posting it. My question is what is "concerted action"? It sounds like a legal term referring to specific conditions, but I've never heard of it before. I've always assumed that unions call strikes because the employees have to be organized in some fashion to do anything as a group, but my personal experience is zero. Most of the companies I worked for started in the north or mid-west and moved south for cheaper labor. But I spent a good chunk of my life in manufacturing, and it sounds like the strike was one of the major factors that made Ed Schwinn decide to close Chicago, so I'm interested in anything that gives me a better understanding of exactly what happened.
When I was a kid, you could go into any store and most products were made in the U.S.A. Now after 20 years of NAFTA and CAFTA, nearly everything is made in China. This subject fascinates me.

Last edited:
That was explained in link I posted, but if you want the definition of the term, a simple Google search returned this result:

https://www.yourdictionary.com/concerted-action
That would be a good definition for most people, but when you're dealing with lawyers only legal definitions carry weight. According to the first paragraph of "The Right to Strike" page on the National Labor Relations Board website " "Section 7 of the National Labor Relations Act states in part, “Employees shall have the right. . . to engage in other concerted activities for the purpose of collective bargaining or other mutual aid or protection.” Strikes are included among the concerted activities protected for employees by this section." " So if non-union employees are allowed to engage in concerted action, then by this definition they can go on strike and be legally protected, as long as the strike is legal.
On the other hand, if Schwinn employees had an in-house union, then they were organized to some extent even if they weren't in the U.A.W.
I think I'm going to leave this one to the lawyers.

That would be a good definition for most people, but when you're dealing with lawyers only legal definitions carry weight. According to the first paragraph of "The Right to Strike" page on the National Labor Relations Board website " "Section 7 of the National Labor Relations Act states in part, “Employees shall have the right. . . to engage in other concerted activities for the purpose of collective bargaining or other mutual aid or protection.” Strikes are included among the concerted activities protected for employees by this section." " So if non-union employees are allowed to engage in concerted action, then by this definition they can go on strike and be legally protected, as long as the strike is legal.
On the other hand, if Schwinn employees had an in-house union, then they were organized to some extent even if they weren't in the U.A.W.
I think I'm going to leave this one to the lawyers.

There is no such thing as an "In House Union" and once again, only unions can call strikes when "CONTRACT" negotiations break down or fail.

Anyhow....................does anyone have any more opinions or theories why there are so so may MR serial numbers? LOL

Back