When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show your Davis built bicycles

-
Nice advert's, thanks for posting, here's my latest Davis built acquisition....
GOPR0119-1.jpg

GOPR0121-1.jpg

Nice ride Bud! With great original paint and nickel. Love those Cali Bars too... would love to see those flipped around racer style!

General question to Davis folks:

Why don't any of the Davis built/badged bikes share any of the features of the Harley bikes they supposedly built. Drop-outs, forks, fork crown, rear stays, lugs etc??? Or is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks!
This frame is lugged and has "HD" looking chain adjusters...Not sure though about the other issues. I suppose HD could've had some pretty specific designs that they wanted their bicycles to have to set them apart from the rest?
I do have another Davis built Victor that is not lugged but of the same era so I was kind of wondering the same thing....

Thanks!
This frame is lugged and has "HD" looking chain adjusters...Not sure though about the other issues. I suppose HD could've had some pretty specific designs that they wanted their bicycles to have to set them apart from the rest?
I do have another Davis built Victor that is not lugged but of the same era so I was kind of wondering the same thing....

yeah yeah,great bike,super paint bah blah....................how about an 1890s bike already..............get some wood....wood!

bud poe and many others ... some specifics regarding the biggest differences between the Dayton Motorbike Frame
AND the DAVIS Motorbike Frame are addressed in these pics. The DAVIS was purchased by this writer .. after a hot
tip from Dave The Wave ... thank you, again, Dave !!!

......... patric cafaro

00000adavis3  001.jpg
5L45K35Hc3I83F23J5c9aaa0da6bf853d10a5.jpg
5Nb5I45V63K43M83Hbc9a00c0ab568d2b1190.jpg
5Id5K35P43na3M73F3c9a448876513ea518de.jpg
5L55N95Mf3M83Ic3J9c9adcea83c17dc01f04.jpg

bud poe .. chitown .. and many others .. The H-D rides were based on the DAVIS formula for fabrication. DAYTON bicycles
had DAYTON-ONLY features ... with the exception to the 1918 model year, when some DAVIS bicycles had a single lug (like
the Dayton) at the top of the seat mast AND Dayton SLEEVED ADJUSTERS at the drop-out plates.

.......... patric

Patric,

Thanks for the illustrations. So Davis had multiple fork, drops/chain adjusters and frame building process' at a time when most of the plant (60%) on war efforts? Besides the fact that the bicycle department was trying to fill the government orders for the Columbia Standard military model bicycle. To me that Harley you've got looks more Mead than anything else.

booksidFzsVAAAAYAAJpgPA119img1zoom3hlens-1.jpg

booksidFzsVAAAAYAAJpgPA120img1zoom3hlens-1.jpg

Not to mention the fact that the plant was set to close down in 1917 for "considerable new machinery" for making tractor parts:
booksidpkBPAQAAIAAJpgPA1016img1zoom3hlen-1.jpg

Then there is this article taken from the Davis Daily News, Oct 9th 1932:

Then along about 1914 the automobile sprang into widespread popularity, and the bicycle was forced to give ground. Following closely on the heels of this new vehicle’s appearance came the World War, and while no one in Dayton realized it at the time, it really sounded the death knell of this famous old industrial plant.

At the command of the government, the Davis halted its production of bicycles and sewing machines and converted a large part of its machinery into the manufacture of munitions. Again the payroll boomed, but it was not the solid, substantial prosperity that had attended its peace-time years. Munitions were provided to meet the government’s demands. But each day that the machinery was on that work it was growing farther away from the time when it could again be utilized for producing the things for which it was originally intended. The regular business of the company suffered. The electric sewing machine came in and was marketed by several competitors at a time when, through force of circumstances, the Davis was unable to meet and cope with such competition. The cry was for munitions and more munitions. The world was being made safe for democracy—but at the cost of the Davis reputation and markets.

Source: http://www.daytonhistorybooks.com/davisdayton.html

Last edited:
So Harley may have had a contract to fill bikes with Davis Sewing Machine co, but when the war broke out and Davis was pushed into defense contracts, is when they may have struck up relations with Mead to take up part of the contract to fill those orders. We know there was a relationship with George Lewis and Horace Huffman when they formed the Dayton Rolled Metal co, in 1925 but there is little evidence of their relationship before that "merger".

WWI had companies pledging unity and support for the government. I think this is a key time in bike manufacturing. In the late teens, there was a movement to "standardize" the bicycle manufacturing process under one government run department. Horace Huffman was one who thought "standardizing" the bicycle would benefit the industry.

James Mead was not on board with this philosophy... mainly I guess because he already had a thriving company with several patents on manufacturing techniques.

Davis had some patents too, just not ones that were practical:
patentsidG7N9AAAAEBAJpgPA2img1zoom4hlens-1.jpg

patentsidG7N9AAAAEBAJpgPA1img1zoom4hlens-1.jpg

In 1916 they were still designing the lug/fishmouth joints:
patentsidihhsAAAAEBAJpgPA2img1zoom4hlens-1.jpg

patentsidihhsAAAAEBAJpgPA1img1zoom4hlens-1.jpg

In 1919 here was their fork manufacturing design:
patentsidqTBmAAAAEBAJpgPA4img1zoom4hlens-1.jpg

patentsidqTBmAAAAEBAJpgPA2img1zoom4hlens-1.jpg

CHRIS (chitown) ... your ability to bring up documents related to what we are discussing is remarkable.
You have great ability in the research arena !! Good stuff. i do need a clarification, tho. What HD do i
have that looks more like a Mead than anything else ?

....... patric

Back