When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bianchi Folgore 1948

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-----

One item which would be plausible for the bicycle is a pair of Gaslo handlebar end caps.

They were produced by Laboretori Cosmochimici di Milano.

The firm was a sponsor of Gino Bartali in the late 1940's and early 1950's.

2rp6x6v.jpg

27y4bw1.jpg

348hj45.jpg

24d21ic.jpg

2ik6t5k.jpg

29zu46.jpg

---

Biographical note on Bartali -

during the fascist time he was part of an underground railroad which saved many destined for the final solution. on training rides he would transport counterfeit documents rolled up inside the seat tube of his machine.

-----

I actually rode the bike yesterday and the cambio corsa works great once you get the hang of it. I did learn pretty quickly to be careful though because those levers are awful close to the spokes! Took one time for me to feel them and realized until I get really good I need to cheat and look down. I have a set of placeholder levers on the bike now but have a line on both a set of levers and the Gaslo bar caps.

I removed the mylar decals which were clear coated over. Originally I was just going to match the paint and repaint the seat and down tubes. The paint job was an ok amateur job but I've decided to go ahead and repaint the entire bike. There are probably about 20 shades of celeste so I'm trying to find some good pics of original bikes of the period so I can get the color close.

When I removed the bottom bracket to get the guard bracket off the cup is dated '47 so I was a year off! I bought a bunch of corks and plan on making some brake pads because I already scorched the front rim a bit in the little riding I did the other day. A little sanding and a another coat of varnish and I should be good. Hopefully when Spring comes around I can get it painted, get my brake levers, and have it fully ready.

V/r Shawn

Last edited:
-----

Hello Shawn,

Thanks for the update, good to read! ;)

Gaslo addendum(b) -

Caps were produced both with and without the patent number. One would think the without to be earlier but have no hard information. They were also produced marked with the name of the bicycle. The only ones of this type recalled are those marked "Frejus" & "Legnano" for Emilio Bozzi S.p.A. Edoardo being such a major marque it seems plausible there may have been Edoardo marked ones as well...

k32gyg.jpg

i6jp0m.jpg

-----

-----

Hello Once Again Shawn,

It be now the month o' aprile, which means the month of leve per freni di Fratelli Pietra.

Have you been in touch with il Volpino?

Any new developments with the refinishing you mentioned?

-----

Back