I'm not in favor of rat bikes!

• Please be aware: We have had several reports of members receiving private messages from newly registered members claiming that their friend has the part or bike they are looking for, and that they should email this person directly. This is a scam! If it looks even slightly suspicious, PLEASE REPORT this to us immediately so that we can investigate and if necessary, ban the member to prevent them from targeting other members. Thank you, CABE staff
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

spoker

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Mar 3, 2011
Minneapolis, United States
Any old bike that is saved from scrap that isn't anywhere near original but can be fixed up to ride is fine. I don't ever endorse cutting up a good original, but many classic bare frames can easily be made into a decent rat. Most of the old stuff I got is free, so it's pretty bad off, seldomly with original paint worth saving. My 53 Schwinn, the bike I first ratted out in 1978 was so badly pitted from rust on the chain stay that I filled it in with bondo, still has many miles in it, but not as a restored Meteor. Not worth a complete restoration, but still beats anything made in China. It's had different versions over the years and the frame waits in a shed for another rebuild back in Florida.
1zlzwub.jpg

20061_92f5538e97323cee845fd813783ea9ea.jpg

20062_5a0f2da825aba198346014d5d9fac77d.jpg

20065_1f75133a1d22e1e88417adc0d43f4326.jpg
i like the look the reversed fork tube,incase anyone missed it

redclayhd

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Jul 3, 2015
South Georgia USA
My thoughts on the "broad" rat movement is - Most of the rat bicycles I've seen are pretty cool. I'm not a fan of destroying or changing a nice original bicycle/motorcycle/car/truck just for the sake of making it look rusty and weather beaten. I think bicycles escape some of the negative accessorizing because they are human powered. Rat fans will attach all sorts of unnecessary crap to motorized vehicles because they're not concerned with extra weight. "Hey, I found this rusty 18 inch pipe wrench laying in the road. I'm gonna weld it somewhere on the bumper of my rad rod. It won't serve any purpose or look good, but they ARE both rusty." Some artistically inclined builders can get away with it and it be tasteful. 90% of the rest of us cannot. From what I've seen, I have liked about 85% of the rat bicycles, probably 50% of the ratrod cars/trucks and about 20% or less of rat bike motorcycles. Now, I'd much rather see an old bicycle frame put together with mismatched parts and someone enjoy it, than to see it forgotten in the corner of a storage building forever. If the old bicycle is mostly complete, it would be nice to see it put back original. A lot of times finances (and patience) prevents original restoration. To me, rats should be built for practical reasons or as a step toward original restoration OR a restomod, depending on your preference. BTW If what I've said doesn't come across clearly, just know it made perfect sense in my brain as I was typing! LOL

redclayhd

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Jul 3, 2015
South Georgia USA
My thoughts on the "broad" rat movement is - Most of the rat bicycles I've seen are pretty cool. I'm not a fan of destroying or changing a nice original bicycle/motorcycle/car/truck just for the sake of making it look rusty and weather beaten. I think bicycles escape some of the negative accessorizing because they are human powered. Rat fans will attach all sorts of unnecessary crap to motorized vehicles because they're not concerned with extra weight. "Hey, I found this rusty 18 inch pipe wrench laying in the road. I'm gonna weld it somewhere on the bumper of my rad rod. It won't serve any purpose or look good, but they ARE both rusty." Some artistically inclined builders can get away with it and it be tasteful. 90% of the rest of us cannot. From what I've seen, I have liked about 85% of the rat bicycles, probably 50% of the ratrod cars/trucks and about 20% or less of rat bike motorcycles. Now, I'd much rather see an old bicycle frame put together with mismatched parts and someone enjoy it, than to see it forgotten in the corner of a storage building forever. If the old bicycle is mostly complete, it would be nice to see it put back original. A lot of times finances (and patience) prevents original restoration. To me, rats should be built for practical reasons or as a step toward original restoration OR a restomod, depending on your preference. BTW If what I've said doesn't come across clearly, just know it made perfect sense in my brain as I was typing! LOL
To drive my point home a little better when it comes to ridiculous things some people do with rat rods, I'll expound a little on the "pipe wrench" thought. "Hey, I found this rusty 18 inch pipe wrench laying in the road. I'm gonna weld it somewhere on the bumper of my rad rod. It won't serve any purpose or look good, but they ARE both rusty. I'll probably put it next to that worn out lawn mower blade I welded on there yesterday".

• Haha
Reactions: Speed King and Sven
This ad goes away when you register for an account!

Mr. Monkeyarms

I live for the CABE
Oct 30, 2018
Colorado
That's kinda the whole thing with rats. Using what you have laying around to make something work. May need to be modified a bit to function but that, to me is true rat rodding at it's purest form. Save the decoration for sake of decoration for the trailer queens! ;)

TwoSchwinns

Look Ma, No Hands!
Aug 5, 2012
northern California
From this...
1194301-1263e1feebdbad39c9628924ce378ea5.jpg

to this.
1194302-9c8e739e4312badaa9ce721f8f0959ae.jpg

I call it a clunker.
Oh, and it's a SHINY black frame.

And I do agree with [B]bobcycles[/B] about preserving when possible, and with the others who rightfully mention the cost of restoring. But, the real idea is to ride them, and having a bike sitting around waiting for a restoration that might never happen is a waste unless it's a very special model. Most customized bikes can ultimately be restored anyway since most have bolted on parts which can be unbolted just as easily.

Don't like to see
sporterized vintage firearms either, but in those cases the possibly nicely marked stocks are ruined forever.

1) bare frame.JPG

IMG_1820.jpg

This ad goes away when you register for an account!