When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycle shop stickers

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Sticker on a genuine New Jersey beach bike (Sun Retro 24). Here in the Garden State we call it "the shore," but the bikes we use there are called "beach bikes." The website for A-1 Bicycles in Point Pleasant Beach says the shop is family-owned and has been in business since 1974. It's a couple of doors down from Mileto Polish-Italian Gourmet Deli, around the corner from Gordon's Surf Shop and Last Wave Brewing Company, and 8 blocks from The Atlantic Ocean. Jersey rocks!

I probably should post this, on a 1947 or 48 Schwinn New World. More pictures of the bike in this thread:
And @kostnerave has a nice 1974 Sports Tourer that came from the same shop.
Does anybody know when this shop closed?

IMG_3222.JPG

Last edited:
I probably should post this, on a 1947 or 48 Schwinn New World. More pictures of the bike in this thread:
And @kostnerave has a nice 1974 Sports Tourer that came from the same shop.
Does anybody know when this shop closed?

View attachment 1279239

-----

;)

Oilit,

the forum has had discussion regarding this shop previously:

1977 Schwinn Paramount Tandem Provenance Report

trade periodical advert published in 1965

zip code had been out two years and they had yet to add theirs to the "camera ready" ad master...

shop interior 1972 -

location today

there was a motorcycle shop in the space for a couple years at one point...

undated post card, likely from the early 1950's, shop begun 1909

-----

Last edited:
-----

;)

Oilit,

the forum has had discussion regarding this shop previously:

1977 Schwinn Paramount Tandem Provenance Report

trade periodical advert published in 1965

zip code had been out two years and they had yet to add theirs to the "camera ready" ad master...

View attachment 1398685

shop interior 1972 -

View attachment 1398686

location today

there was a motorcycle shop in the space for a couple years at one point...

undated post card, likely from the early 1950's, shop begun 1909

View attachment 1398687

-----
Thanks for the information @juvela! Wonder if there's any old bike parts left in the building? I know there's not, but fantasies are free...

-----

here is a transfer i found interesting which is not actually a bike shop one -

it is worn by a Terrot bicycle of circa 1960 vintage owned by member
@tripple3 [ Terrot was a manufacturer of cycles and motorcycles located in Dijon who was acquired by Peugeot in the 1950's. Peugeot kept the name going into the early 1960's when they let it go inactive.]

had not previously seen a transfer associated with a school. cannot recall any school or university i attended which had any manner of bicycle registration.

the transfer carries the number 255 which suggests a form of registration for students' cycles.

checked online and discovered that the school is yet in operation today at the same location as given on the transfer:

-----

Last edited:
This is a great thread which has led me down an awesome internet wormhole related to the bicycle shop sticker found on my October, 1961 24-inch Schwinn American:

"SOLD OR SERVICED BY

Superior
Cycle Shop

216 N. EAST ST.
Phone CH 3-1506

Jacksonville, Ill
"

The defunct Superior Cycle Shop began on a local street of the same name (now a residential neighborhood), per newspaper advertisements from the mid-1930s.

I suspect my locally-found 1948 LaSalle may have been sourced from this location.

In the late-1940s, the shop was moved "uptown" to the business district of the time:

Credit to @cyclingday on the Phantom Reference Thread for the shop photo of owner Carl Keehner* and a lucky kid:

Also dealing Schwinn bicycles at the time in the Jacksonville area were a BF Goodrich outlet and Village Cyclery, which opened around 1962. Neither remain, and there is no longer a bicycle shop in the city.

Superior Cycle Shop closed in late 1962:

The building remains, currently as a tavern. I've seen a very poor-quality cellular telephone photograph of a Superior Cycle Shop sign located in the attic, and understand that it is too large to remove without major work and/or business disruption.

RIP

IMG_2439.JPG

jacksonville-daily-journal-Apr-29-1934-p-6_cr.png

jacksonville-daily-journal-Dec-04-1935-p-9_cr.png

jacksonville-daily-journal-Sep-19-1934-p-5_cr.png

Last edited:
Back