When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Westfield Frame Numbers 1933 - 1945

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Another one for the list. M60102.

westfield_sn.jpg

westfield_b4.jpg

Hi @JPKelley5 , @lounging

Sorry for the late replies, I hve been away for two weeks. Thanks for taking the time to post details of your bikes, I really appreciate it.

M60102 was made mid 1934. I can't see if it has a headbadge, but I think this would be a bike sold under the Westfield name (rather than Elgin) because of the 'Coffin' type chainwheel, which was a Westfield feature. This was the year that Westfield started to put month codes on the frames, and yours dates to just before this started. The earliest month dated one I have listed is M90245, A9, Sptember 1934, so yours would be a couple or three months before that.

F181467, H10 was Westfield produced for Sears under the Elgin brand, and was made in October 1941, so was part of the last peacetime production before WW2, It was also one of the last Westfield bikes produced for Sears, since they were starting to buy them from Murray instead.

Best Regards to both,

Adrian

Hi,

Nice restoration by the way.

It is a very unusual frame number. G9241 H11. The frame was made November 1941, and technically the G indicates the bike was built in 1942. However, with Pearl Harbor in November 1941, something odd happened with the frame numbers. Westfield records that their numbers for 1941 were F5000 to F213132 and then, uniquely for Westfield, they started on the G series with G5000 to G17433 being built before the end of 1941. This bike falls into that unusual batch. I have only seen one other so far, this frame G8348 currently for sale by @mrg

It's not known why Westfield did this, but just after Pearl Harbor, bicycle restrictions were brought in for WW2, it was probably associated with that in order to identify bicycles built under the new regulations.

Best Regards

Adrian

Hi @SKPC

As Krakatoa says, the frame was made in March 37. the serial number B96601 occurs after bicycles with frame dates of June 37, and before others of July 37, so I think it was built up round about June 37.

I think it's an Elgin. Below are links to two Elgins with similar build dates, and frame markings.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back