When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Westfield Frame Numbers 1933 - 1945

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hi Arfsaidthebee,

Archie hits it on the head, C120562, E6. A june 1938 made frame, but the bike was built up in September or after (there are September frames with lower serial numbers known). I have a couple of other Progressive Cycle Co. bikes listed, both Comet badged, never seen a Bengal.

C63380, E6. Also a June 1938, built up in July 1938. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/n...t-special.128603/#lg=attachment781550&slide=0

F93052, H4 an April 1941 frame. Post 120. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/westfield-frame-numbers-1933-1945.100743/page-12#post-1266708

Thanks for posting this, and the other details you've sent by PM, there's a longer reply there.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi All,

After further discussion with Arfsaidthebee, it looks like the serial number is really D120562, E6. A june 1938 made frame, but the bike was built up in November 1939, and unusually long time for Westfield to keep te bare frame in stock.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Heres my offering: A 1936 Columbus by Westfield. Serial #A118457, C7. It has a Morrow rear hub with date code F3. It has neat United States Giant Chain Tread No. 778 tires that need help, ANY IDEAS ON BRINGING THE TIRES BACK so they could be pliable and hold air for display?

col1.JPG

col2.JPG

col3.JPG

col4.JPG

col5.JPG

Hi @genesmachines

Thanks for publishing details, now added to the list.

Serial A118457, C7, is as you say, a1936 bike, the framewas built in July 36, and the bike built up soon after. The Morrow hub is nice, F3 is Quarter 3 1936, so it's almost certainly the original for this bike.

A118585, C7 is the closest survivor Ihave recorded. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1930s-no-frills-westfield-elgin-motobike.147430/#post-994123

M78528 from mid 1934 is the only othe Columbus I have recorded, also a Women's bike. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/need-help-columbia-ladies-bike-dating.167741/

My first advice for working on the tyres, is to take the wheels off on a nice sunny day, and leave them out in the sun to get hot,hotter the better, because they will be flexible.

If they are tubed tyres, and the tubes are OK, inflate gently not hard, but enough for the tubes to form the tyre back to shape. Otherwise remove the tyres carefully from the rims, replace the tubes with new ones, clean the interior of the tyres, and remount them, then inflate gently as above.

Once you have a decent shape, take them somewhere cooler, and put the wheels back on the bike, with the bike upside down to allow the tyres to cool in the new shape. Once fully cool (next day?), you should be able to inflate a little harder, but watch out for cracking.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi @genesmachines

Thanks for publishing details, now added to the list.

Serial A118457, C7, is as you say, a1936 bike, the framewas built in July 36, and the bike built up soon after. The Morrow hub is nice, F3 is Quarter 3 1936, so it's almost certainly the original for this bike.

A118585, C7 is the closest survivor Ihave recorded. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1930s-no-frills-westfield-elgin-motobike.147430/#post-994123

M78528 from mid 1934 is the only othe Columbus I have recorded, also a Women's bike. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/need-help-columbia-ladies-bike-dating.167741/

My first advice for working on the tyres, is to take the wheels off on a nice sunny day, and leave them out in the sun to get hot,hotter the better, because they will be flexible.

If they are tubed tyres, and the tubes are OK, inflate gently not hard, but enough for the tubes to form the tyre back to shape. Otherwise remove the tyres carefully from the rims, replace the tubes with new ones, clean the interior of the tyres, and remount them, then inflate gently as above.

Once you have a decent shape, take them somewhere cooler, and put the wheels back on the bike, with the bike upside down to allow the tyres to cool in the new shape. Once fully cool (next day?), you should be able to inflate a little harder, but watch out for cracking.

Best Regards,

Adrian
thanks for the info. the tires will have to be a New Years resolution. Won't be much heat in central NY for about 8 months. I have been using John Deere Ultra Guard rubber treatment on tires so will prep them with that, can't hurt. Thanks again, Gene

Hi @genesmachines

I appreciate your posting this too. Every little bit of information helps build a fuller picture.

E62064 G3. The frame was made in March 1940, but the bicycle wasn't built up until June 1940 (the serial number is bracketed by serial numbers with G6 dated frames). The 35F I don't recognise. It might e a police stamp in case it got stolen, or something else entirely.

It's in really nice condition. Looks like 1/2 inch chain, unusual at that time in the US. Shame if the headbadge is missing, but I can see a witness mark from it. If you post that up, it could help indicate what the original badge was.

Thiis ladies 'The Sterling' (April 1940 frame) looks very similar, even down to the badge shape, so perhaps one of these (post 4)? https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/the-sterling-what-is-it.181336/

Best Regards,

Adrian

Since this site helped me date code my newly acquired Westfield, I figured I would add to this forum.

Here is my patina Feb (J2) '42 Westfield with a New Departure Model D hub. The serial number is G45112

Now onto finding a chain guard. Let me know if you notice anything else I am missing.

Cheers,
Johnny

Dear Johnny @von_hansel

Thanks for providing details of this bike.

1640249511281.png

The screen shot above gives you an idea of where it fits into known survivors.

Since it is in the middle of a batch of G519 military bicycles, and is the same style frame it is worth your while checking to see if there is an M stamped just before the G. Sometimes the stamping can be very light. The nearest known survivor is a G519 MG45133 / J2, sold on Ebay earlier this year, hence the poor photos. The second shows the M marking to look for.

What is the badge on the frame?

Otherwise, if there is no M, then it is an interesting Civillian bike made in the middle of military production, and before the Sports Tourist 'Victory' frames came in only a few thousand frames later.

Please let us konw what you find either way, thanks.

Given that only 1000 or fewer frames later they are using J3, then I think yours was built late February 1942.

This is the last civillian bike of that style I have recorded G48953/J2, but it it's restored, and honestly may be over equipped in comparison to how it left the factory, so it may not be a good example to copy. It does have the same chain wheel as yours.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back